Should I upgrade from a 4700k to an 11700k, or wait a few months to get a 12700k?

GalacticViper
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Alder Lake is rumored to launch within a month, and even if you don't go for it you should be able to get a really good deal on some 11th gen Intel once it releases.

Basically, if you can wait like 2-3 weeks, wait 2-3 weeks. Some people have even managed to get hold of Alder Lake CPUs now, and they aren't even officially released yet.

Budget (including currency): preferably around $2000 USD - but I would rather pay more for better quality.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4k gaming - mainly modded Minecraft, Battlefield 2042, and StarCraft II - occasional video editing, casual music production, school.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I currently have a 4790k, 32 GB of DDR3 ram, and an AIO cooled 2080.

I already know I want to upgrade sometime soon, so I have a list of everything I want put together but, I am only worried about the CPU right now.

I originally had an 11700k picked out so I could get a super fast gen 4 m.2, but then I looked up 12th gen.

From what I have heard, Alder Lake will launch very soon, but I am wondering if it would be better for me to get an 11th gen CPU since, from what I'm seeing, the main focus of alder lake seems to power efficiency for laptops. Something I don't exactly care about on desktop.

I also heard that 12th gen CPUs will be DDR5 and PCIe 5 compatible? Will z690 motherboards have those features as well?

If so, would those benefit me at all? (I know better memory would help in Minecraft, but would it be worth it?), and does anyone know if they would be backwards compatible with current parts?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions that might not have answers yet, but I'm not asking for the answers to all of them at once. 

If nobody knows, I will just wait until 12th gen launches and there is more info available to make my choice.

Thanks in advance! 

Alder Lake is rumored to launch within a month, and even if you don't go for it you should be able to get a really good deal on some 11th gen Intel once it releases.

Basically, if you can wait like 2-3 weeks, wait 2-3 weeks. Some people have even managed to get hold of Alder Lake CPUs now, and they aren't even officially released yet.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ok thanks!

I can totally wait, so that's what I will do

8 minutes ago, GalacticViper said:

I also heard that 12th gen CPUs will be DDR5 and PCIe 5 compatible? Will z690 motherboards have those features as well?

On a good side if you bought DDR5, you can use the memory kit for quite some time even when upgrading the CPU and motherboard assuming you don't upgrade it too for extra speed (just like how DDR4 changed from "2666 is quite good" to "3200 is the standard")

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

39 minutes ago, GalacticViper said:

Budget (including currency): preferably around $2000 USD - but I would rather pay more for better quality.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4k gaming - mainly modded Minecraft, Battlefield 2042, and StarCraft II - occasional video editing, casual music production, school.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I currently have a 4790k, 32 GB of DDR3 ram, and an AIO cooled 2080.

I already know I want to upgrade sometime soon, so I have a list of everything I want put together but, I am only worried about the CPU right now.

I originally had an 11700k picked out so I could get a super fast gen 4 m.2, but then I looked up 12th gen.

From what I have heard, Alder Lake will launch very soon, but I am wondering if it would be better for me to get an 11th gen CPU since, from what I'm seeing, the main focus of alder lake seems to power efficiency for laptops. Something I don't exactly care about on desktop.

If so, would those benefit me at all? (I know better memory would help in Minecraft, but would it be worth it?), and does anyone know if they would be backwards compatible with current parts?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions that might not have answers yet, but I'm not asking for the answers to all of them at once. 

If nobody knows, I will just wait until 12th gen launches and there is more info available to make my choice.

Thanks in advance! 

Just one thing to bear in mind with Alder Lake is that the latency on the DDR5 RAM kits I've seen is C40 or higher which is pretty terrible but to be expected with a new generation of RAM. The bandwidth is huge from the get-go with DDR5 but the latency is bad.

I saw an article somewhere saying that you may be able to use DDR4 RAM which would be a better option for the time being until the latency comes down on DDR5. You'd need to confirm that as I haven't been following it super close.

One other word of warning is that early adopters of new architectures sometimes find they have issues with poor driver support or stability issues for a little while until the bugs get ironed out. 

Not trying to put you off, just something to be aware of with a new architecture.