Weird inconsistent GPU performance

Hey everyone, some time ago I notice my PC overperforming some days. Yes, it performs better some days than others in particular my GPU.

I've been looking in forums for some reason for it to happen without success, no similar case. No updates or config changes between tests, just a restart. By the way, the performance changes upon restarting or putting my PC in a sleep state, that's all it takes.

Specs:

-Ryzen 7 5800X 4.65GHZ@1.235V

-MSI B550 Tomahawk

-2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz CL18

-Sapphire RX 6700 XT Nitro+ 

I tested my setup performance using FurMark (the first tool I used and got aware of this situation), NiceHash  and Rise of the Tomb Rider.  

Radeon Software profile for NiceHash is 90% clock and 90% voltage

The rest of the time I run my GPU at 100% clock speed and 96% voltage 

Expected Performance:

1506221884_Inicio7Furmark.png.c489abfb593072ea02a0038f11659af1.png652634832_Inicio7NiceHash.thumb.png.752e51bfbe2b1fae3e5825cf52b28586.png644970270_Inicio7ROTTRbenchmark.thumb.png.030b600854ea05b777c26a135ec3620f.png

FurMark Score:

https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=463848

Overperforming GPU:

145718290_Inicio6Furmark.png.e8416a62817a1cc5019838714b28c7a5.png1837554368_Inicio6.thumb.png.e0bf72cae989d7207421cb0f7e3d1952.png413478988_Inicio6sotr2benchmark.thumb.png.3273c8e28a05138a53f417c01652193b.png

FurMark Score:

https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=463771

I ran both tests the same day, just a restart in between. I guess it happens 1 out of 5 system boots. 

Why is it happening?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Remove your cpu oc and try again.

The first time I've notice this situation I thought "it might be the CPU manual clocks"... switched between CPU stock and manual clock speeds but nothing changed related to GPU behavior. But I will try again tomorrow, it's a bit late right now

4 minutes ago, chooseyourfate said:

The first time I've notice this situation I thought "it might be the CPU manual clocks"... switched between CPU stock and manual clock speeds but nothing changed related to GPU behavior. But I will try again tomorrow, it's a bit late right now

I do see that the cpu usage between runs is entirely different so you might have something open in the background that is eating away at the cpu.

19 hours ago, jaslion said:

I do see that the cpu usage between runs is entirely different so you might have something open in the background that is eating away at the cpu.

Can you explain this? I usually check that and I've never seen an abnormal CPU usage or a suspicious background process with high CPU load

18 hours ago, chooseyourfate said:

Can you explain this? I usually check that and I've never seen an abnormal CPU usage or a suspicious background process with high CPU load

In the first one the cpu in the second graph is doing something that is causing a 20% usage spike compared to the second better test.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:02 PM, jaslion said:

In the first one the cpu in the second graph is doing something that is causing a 20% usage spike compared to the second better test.

I guess you are confusing what the graphic means. Even so, How can you explain the different hashrate with near 0 CPU utilization?

It's normal to see the hash rates increase in NBMiner. I always assume it was doing an easier algorythm when I see my 6700xt go from 47 to 51 then eventually goes back to 47.

You may not have a stable overclock when doing GPU benchmarks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 - dont run any RGB software 

2 - No OCs and this includes RAM( only DOCP or XMP)

3 - Keep HWinfo on the background so you can monitor temps 

4 - You can DDU the drivers but I dont think thats the issue 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:58 AM, alyen said:

It's normal to see the hash rates increase in NBMiner. I always assume it was doing an easier algorythm when I see my 6700xt go from 47 to 51 then eventually goes back to 47.

You may not have a stable overclock when doing GPU benchmarks.

Ok, if it's only NBMiner, that would make sense. Yes, sometimes hashrate calculation freaks out and show some bumps in performance, but this one's consistent. Besides, it happens in different types of software. Synthetic benchmark, gaming and mining. The "boost" is consistent between them.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:54 AM, Xkillerpn said:

1 - dont run any RGB software 

2 - No OCs and this includes RAM( only DOCP or XMP)

3 - Keep HWinfo on the background so you can monitor temps 

4 - You can DDU the drivers but I dont think thats the issue 

1. I'm running OpenRGB only, might try a clean windows install

2. Did some testing with stock CPU clocks with the same result

3. Between FurMark benchmarks, clocks were nearly the same, power draw too. That's the odd stuff, I suspect VBIOS level witchery(?)

4. Updated video drivers with "factory reset" setting in AMD drivers installer, I might try DDU cleaning but  I don't think it's due to drivers.