Android work profile

Summary

Google has published a video on the Android youtube page where they show off a new android future: Work profile. The idea is that when you have it on at work and have it off at home and it allows to you to run the same app in both profiles.

My thoughts

It think this could be a useful future. But it's not clear if the administrators can turin it off.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/21/22737060/google-work-personal-life-android-12-enterprise-authentication-integration-bounty

So, like Focus mode on iOS but on Android. Cool.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So, like Focus mode on iOS but on Android. Cool.

Does focus mode allow different profiles?

1 minute ago, aeliasov9 said:

Does focus mode allow different profiles?

Well, yes. From iOS 15 onwards

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

This has been a feature for some time already. You can enroll your device with your company's MDM, who can then set up the work profile and manage apps inside the work profile.

Since it is your personal device, you can disable or uninstall the work profile at any time.

~edit: The big news seems to be that this can be done without needing explicit mobile device management on the company's side, as long as they are using Google Workspace. If you are using an MDM that supports Android Enterprise, a Work Profile can be used on basically any device (that supports Google services), Android 6.x and up.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Nice I suppose, but a bit late to party, Windows Phone had a work account option available several years ago, it was a fairly decent built in feature.

Also, as mentioned, Samsung phones have a feature similar to this.. but I have not used it so I cannot speak to it really, also Google has a way interfering with how it functions so its not a smooth use.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

if the phone is not given by the company and don't see why i should have anything work related on my phone 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

if the phone is not given by the company and don't see why i should have anything work related on my phone 

You and me both, but unfortunately most people don't think like that.

Most people in my company have the corporate e-mail and the 2FA (for our VPN) in their personal phone.

1 minute ago, Rauten said:

You and me both, but unfortunately most people don't think like that.

Most people in my company have the corporate e-mail and the 2FA (for our VPN) in their personal phone.

lol 

now compare who's more stressed out between them and you

a hard separation between work and personal life is key to me.

giving me a work phone wont mean that i'll be reachable 24/7, just means that in my shift i'll be able to access anything work related without being tied to where ever my laptop is. Once the work shift is over that phone would be turned off and left in a drawer just like the laptop (or in my case, rebooted to my pesonal partition cause my mac was flat out better than what ever my company was trying to get me to use)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If my employer wants me to have work stuff on my phone, then they had better be issuing me with a work phone.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

What about this is new ? I've been using this for more than a year and our company has been rolling this out for a while.