remote desktop setup for poker

Techn00bie
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
15 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

1.)  Lets say Brazil to Australia, a fair distance - how much lag would I expect to have? 

Entirely depends on your ISP as well as the Australia person's ISP. It is impossible to tell.

I think a good estimate, assuming both of you got good Internet connections, would be around 400ms RTT. I base that on statistics from WondeerNetwork.

18 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

2.)  Are there ways to decrease this lag through any tweaks to my resolution, the software used for the remote desktop etc?  

It depends on what causes the lag, but probably no. The network latency will most likely be your biggest issue, not the throughput. Although that of course depends on how the setup works and what resolutions and FPS you're talking about.

19 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

3.)  How does it work in terms of both resolutions - such as if I'm connecting to a 17 inch laptop but I have a 27 inch monitor on my current location - how will this affect the layout of the tables etc

Depends on what setup you're using, but most likely you will be limited to the resolution of the 17" laptop.

4.)  Which software would be a good option for me for my needs?  Seems kinda bare bones needs just don't want lag to be a problem and want a good picture/resolution on my end 

There are several. Teamviewer. VPN + RDP. Chrome RDP. Some VNC server/client.

21 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

5.)  I would just need the software to exist on my pc location in Brazil, no?  The laptop in Australia would not need any downloads?  

Depends on what you choose to do. All the things I mentioned requires some configuration or software download.

Teamviewer is the easiest, but requires software to be installed on both computers. VPN + RDP requires you to configure a VPN connection to their network, and then for them to enable RDP on Windows. You could technically skip the VPN and just enable RDP, without requiring any additional software installs, but that's a VERY bad idea. VNC requires additional software as well.

In general, you can't just remote in to a computer over the Internet without any additional software or configuration. It would be a massive security risk if you could.

24 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

6.)  It's possible to port into the laptop at any hour of the day without any human there to accept the connection?  

Depends on how it's configured buy all three solutions I mentioned would allow for that.

Hello tech gods, I am but a tech n00bie and need some help =) 

Lets say someone wanted port into another pc which exists in another country - to play on their poker account - all perfectly legal of course 

1.)  Lets say Brazil to Australia, a fair distance - how much lag would I expect to have? 
2.)  Are there ways to decrease this lag through any tweaks to my resolution, the software used for the remote desktop etc?  
3.)  How does it work in terms of both resolutions - such as if I'm connecting to a 17 inch laptop but I have a 27 inch monitor on my current location - how will this affect the layout of the tables etc
4.)  Which software would be a good option for me for my needs?  Seems kinda bare bones needs just don't want lag to be a problem and want a good picture/resolution on my end 
5.)  I would just need the software to exist on my pc location in Brazil, no?  The laptop in Australia would not need any downloads?  
6.)  It's possible to port into the laptop at any hour of the day without any human there to accept the connection?  

Thanks so much for help with my questions and your time =)

15 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

Entirely depends on your ISP as well as the Australia person's ISP. It is impossible to tell.

I think a good estimate, assuming both of you got good Internet connections, would be around 400ms RTT. I base that on statistics from WondeerNetwork.

18 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

It depends on what causes the lag, but probably no. The network latency will most likely be your biggest issue, not the throughput. Although that of course depends on how the setup works and what resolutions and FPS you're talking about.

Depends on what setup you're using, but most likely you will be limited to the resolution of the 17" laptop.

There are several. Teamviewer. VPN + RDP. Chrome RDP. Some VNC server/client.

21 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

Depends on what you choose to do. All the things I mentioned requires some configuration or software download.

Teamviewer is the easiest, but requires software to be installed on both computers. VPN + RDP requires you to configure a VPN connection to their network, and then for them to enable RDP on Windows. You could technically skip the VPN and just enable RDP, without requiring any additional software installs, but that's a VERY bad idea. VNC requires additional software as well.

In general, you can't just remote in to a computer over the Internet without any additional software or configuration. It would be a massive security risk if you could.

24 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

Depends on how it's configured buy all three solutions I mentioned would allow for that.

hello thanks for the response 

which setup would be the most friendly getting it all set up but also help in preventing detection?  

"VPN + RDP requires you to configure a VPN connection to their network, and then for them to enable RDP on Windows. You could technically skip the VPN and just enable RDP, without requiring any additional software installs, but that's a VERY bad idea. VNC requires additional software as well."

the vpn software would only need to exist on my current location?  then the laptop would enable it's windows rdp?  

how does this setup option differ from just using teamviewer/chrome? 

thanks again 

2 hours ago, Techn00bie said:

hello thanks for the response 

which setup would be the most friendly getting it all set up but also help in preventing detection?  

the vpn software would only need to exist on my current location?  then the laptop would enable it's windows rdp?  

Hmm, this seems shady... 

For the vpn, you need software on both machines. 

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Hmm, this seems shady... 

For the vpn, you need software on both machines. 

No less shady then using an invisible cloak to freely walk across a street to avoid jaywalking charges/tickets 🙃
So vpn won't work.  I'll try google chrome extension.  Small bit of lag should be fine.  

4 hours ago, Techn00bie said:

Depends on what you mean by "preventing detection".

It sounds to me like you want to get access to someone's computer and poker account without them knowing...

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Depends on what you mean by "preventing detection".

It sounds to me like you want to get access to someone's computer and poker account without them knowing...

I thought it was obvious that 'prevent detection' was preventing the poker site from detecting any possible remote access happening

To take over someones poker account I would need to access to their identity 
Then hack into their poker account 
Then hack into their email 

That's all way too much work for a Techn00bie =(

1 minute ago, Techn00bie said:

I thought it was obvious that 'prevent detection' was preventing the poker site from detecting any possible remote access happening

Why would that be important if there isn't anything you're doing wrong? Do they allow you to use the service if you're not in that country? 

4 hours ago, rickeo said:

Why would that be important if there isn't anything you're doing wrong? Do they allow you to use the service if you're not in that country? 

The importance is of nobody's concern.   Yes they allow the service from other countries.  If you must know proving my identity through electricity bills, bank accounts, etc is literally impossible in the country I currently reside in.  This country does not allow foreigners access to any contracts of services that prove an address.  So I'm currently landlocked and will have no money to feed myself and will become homeless in a 3rd world country whose language I do not speak unless I set this up.  

So can we please stop the pearl clutching?  I just want to have the ability to tap into another computer.  The owner of this computer will obviously know about it.  I said earlier nothing illegal.  And certainly nothing immoral.  

22 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

It wasn't obvious to me, especially not since you asked for methods that would not involve doing things on the remote computer. If you were doing this with someone's consent I don't see why you would need something that requires no software installed on their computer.

Anyway, you haven't even told us what poker game you are talking about so I do not know what kind of security precautions they have. If it's just in a browser then it shouldn't be a big deal. If it's an application running on the computer then I don't know what kind of things they are doing in the background.

25 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

To take over someones poker account I would need to access to their identity 
Then hack into their poker account 
Then hack into their email 

Not if they automatically sign in when you visit their website. You're not giving us a whole lot of info, yet assume we know a bunch of stuff.

20 minutes ago, Techn00bie said:

So I'm currently landlocked and will have no money to feed myself and will become homeless in a 3rd world country whose language I do not speak unless I set this up.  

In that case it seems like the last thing you should do is gamble with the little money you got left, but you do you.

Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop will be the easiest ones. VPN + RDP will be the hardest and won't really do anything better than the previously mentioned.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If you were doing this with someone's consent I don't see why you would need something that requires no software installed on their computer.

They are of the older generation and I wish to make the process as easy as possible for them.  

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If it's just in a browser then it shouldn't be a big deal. If it's an application running on the computer then I don't know what kind of things they are doing in the background.

Not in a browser.  It's an application.  I'm more interested in learning about any method that would be more discreet in preventing detection.  For science, that is.  

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not if they automatically sign in when you visit their website.

Makes sense, yeah that's not what I wanna do.  

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In that case it seems like the last thing you should do is gamble with the little money you got left, but you do you.

Professional poker players that have a history of profits and can prove it sometimes get staked by other poker players.   I won't be using my money.  

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop will be the easiest ones. VPN + RDP will be the hardest and won't really do anything better than the previously mentioned.

I'm probably going to try Chrome to start.  

Thanks for the help.  If a setup that prevents detection to a higher degree is possible (from a 3rd party application, not the pc owner) I'd be very interested in learning about it.  

8 hours ago, Techn00bie said:

all perfectly legal of course

Yeah, not perfectly legal at all, and completely against the ToS of every poker site. I played on Stars from 2012-2015 through a private VPN connection in Brazil with no issues, but there's no way that I would attempt doing that today with the level of security that exists now. You will be instantly flagged if you have any remote desktop software running, or run poker software in a VM. Running the poker software on your own machine and connecting through a private VPN may still be viable, but you would need to accept that there is a very significant chance that you will never see your deposit or winnings.

5 hours ago, Techn00bie said:

The importance is of nobody's concern.   Yes they allow the service from other countries.  If you must know proving my identity through electricity bills, bank accounts, etc is literally impossible in the country I currently reside in.  This country does not allow foreigners access to any contracts of services that prove an address.  So I'm currently landlocked and will have no money to feed myself and will become homeless in a 3rd world country whose language I do not speak unless I set this up.  

So can we please stop the pearl clutching?  I just want to have the ability to tap into another computer.  The owner of this computer will obviously know about it.  I said earlier nothing illegal.  And certainly nothing immoral.  

China by any chance? 

*** Thread locked ***

While this doesn't sound illegal on the top, your wording and presentation do make it sound like you would do something illegal if you had technical skills or other means.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv