Things/ ideas to do with old an tablet

KJaboski

I have an old OEM kind of freebie tablet running android 4 that I'd consider crap back when it was given to us by an ISP.

For some reason I'm cautious about having it connected to the network with all potential security risks and back doors. I'm wondering if there a way I could install a new vanilla version of android on it and use it for home automation or media stuff.

I'm open to everyone's ideas and suggestions. 

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

You could possible use an application called "Touch portal" it is available on Android and iOS, it is basically a Stream Deck on Tablet/Phone. I have been using it for a few months and has worked flawlessly.

I have my old tablet on the wall and I use this app to monitor pc resources usage, temps, etc. Dashboard is fully customizable. It won't need internet connection, but it needs access to the server on pc. If you are worried you could use some kind of vpn.

There's also Pitikapp, but it only supports Android 5 and up.

About updating Android version, it could be possible. It depends if someone actually made a custom recovery / rom for it (always good to look at xda).

This one of mine is running LineageOS.

IMG_20200917_163921.jpg

Thanks for all your inputs guys!

9 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

I actually have an old iPad that I'm planning to watch some tutorials to figure out how to use it as a second PC monitor.

As far as random ideas, what about framing it on the wall and having it run something like a fishtank video, or even just doing a slideshow of your personal/family photos for a digital album.

I guess If I kind make it do anything more interesting that's an idea to use.

9 hours ago, itswoolfy said:

You could possible use an application called "Touch portal" it is available on Android and iOS, it is basically a Stream Deck on Tablet/Phone. I have been using it for a few months and has worked flawlessly.

That now is an interesting use case, given that it could be useful for simracing that I do.

8 hours ago, SrCamarda said:

I have my old tablet on the wall and I use this app to monitor pc resources usage, temps, etc. Dashboard is fully customizable. It won't need internet connection, but it needs access to the server on pc. If you are worried you could use some kind of vpn.

There's also Pitikapp, but it only supports Android 5 and up.

About updating Android version, it could be possible. It depends if someone actually made a custom recovery / rom for it (always good to look at xda).

This one of mine is running LineageOS.

You got a very fine setup right there my man, looks very neat. I'd though of doing something like that with a phone on a desk but not a massive tablet however you made it work. 

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

16 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

That's a lush setup, love purple. Where did you get the wall mount from?

Thank you! I love purple too, after this picture I changed the dashboard and keyboard to the same color scheme, pretty nice. About the wall mount, I actually 3D printed it (the gamepads/headphone mounts too). There's plenty of models on Thingiverse.