A question about any PSU fan in general.

A power supply that lacks the fan stop function , if the fan decides to just go bad (maybe the next day maybe 10 years later) 

I have heard videos of grinding and rattling noises and they were always consistent. They didnt go away wether if its idle or under load (some times both)

My question is : IS the rattling noise always consistent? Or can it just happen for like a split second or like 2 seconds then go away for days then repeat after a week or two? It was never consistent according to what my friend described about his cooler master 850W bronze V2. 

Any ideas?

Depends on the fan in the PSU. If the fan starts rattling, the bearing is going bad on the fan, and while percussive maintenance can make the rattling stop for a period, you'll have to replace the fan to get it to stop for good. 

Better PSUs tend to have higher end fans on them, with better bearings that are less prone to death, so if it's annoying you, upgrade your PSU if you don't feel comfortable taking apart your PSU to replace the fan (which you shouldn't unless you really know what you're doing). 

1 hour ago, FoxyZey said:

Or can it just happen for like a split second or like 2 seconds then go away for days then repeat after a week or two?

My PSU fan in my Plex server has been going back for the last year. Occasionally it gets loud. Im just going to let it go until it dies. After doing research I guess the type of bearing the fan uses is the reason why it failed when it did. But keep in mind that hardware was bought back in 2013. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

a power supply fan doesnt have to fail in any specific way with any specific noise, the noise can come or go or be constant or loud or quiet or it can die with no noise at all. fan failures have no rules

40 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Depends on the fan in the PSU. If the fan starts rattling, the bearing is going bad on the fan, and while percussive maintenance can make the rattling stop for a period, you'll have to replace the fan to get it to stop for good. 

Better PSUs tend to have higher end fans on them, with better bearings that are less prone to death, so if it's annoying you, upgrade your PSU if you don't feel comfortable taking apart your PSU to replace the fan (which you shouldn't unless you really know what you're doing). 

Thing is his PSU is brand new , he sent it for RMA for around 2 days where they said tested it and nope it wasn't doing any noise so they sent it back. So he never actually thought whats going on. They also said that if a psu rattles it RATTLES when the fan gets fast every time. Not once then stop for 2 weeks and return or a week since it doesn't make sense that's now how bearings work. (Thats what they said)

5 hours ago, FoxyZey said:

A power supply that lacks the fan stop function , if the fan decides to just go bad (maybe the next day maybe 10 years later) 

I have heard videos of grinding and rattling noises and they were always consistent. They didnt go away wether if its idle or under load (some times both)

My question is : IS the rattling noise always consistent? Or can it just happen for like a split second or like 2 seconds then go away for days then repeat after a week or two? It was never consistent according to what my friend described about his cooler master 850W bronze V2. 

Any ideas?

Depends on the PSU. Different PSUs have different fans and different fan controllers.

4 hours ago, FoxyZey said:

Thing is his PSU is brand new , he sent it for RMA for around 2 days where they said tested it and nope it wasn't doing any noise so they sent it back. So he never actually thought whats going on. They also said that if a psu rattles it RATTLES when the fan gets fast every time. Not once then stop for 2 weeks and return or a week since it doesn't make sense that's now how bearings work. (Thats what they said)

Sounds like shitty service.  He should probably consider a different brand rather than thinking this is something that has to do with PSUs in general and PSU fans in general.

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Depends on the PSU. Different PSUs have different fans and different fan controllers.

Sounds like shitty service.  He should probably consider a different brand rather than thinking this is something that has to do with PSUs in general and PSU fans in general.

Unfortunately thats all what we could afford since only tier C or less of PSU's exist in egypt for reasonable prices. A tier A psu is like..480$ or more