New RAM causing PC to crash

Hi,

Hope you're all well and safe.

I got a new set of RAM sticks (Venegence RGB PRO SL 3600 CL18) to upgrade from my Ballistix 3200 CL16. Ever since those were installed, I installed iCUE in an attempt to control the RGB but ever since then, my entire PC has freezing every few minutes.

I had a similar problem in March which was fixed by closing NZXT CAM and it has stopped doing it till now.

I've changed the RAM back to the old set, deleted iCUE and all traces of Corsair software but it continues to happen.

Failure Process

• Video/task stutters and then freezes

• start menu does not shut down or restart PC

• Power button does not work

• Power supply needs to be shut off from the switch

Tested Solutions:

• Reinstalling Windows without removing apps or files

• Reinstalling drivers for GPU, bluetooth & displays

• Event viewer but nothing is caught by it

• Memtest - no errors

• Malwarebytes - no software

• It won't let me restore to a point before iCUE was installed

• No repairs suggested by Windows, no updates

Nothing has been installed since iCUE

I have opened a support ticket with Corsair and looking for solutions meanwhile

System Specs AS OF NOW:

• 5600X

• NZXT 240mm AIO

• B550I STRIX - Not on the latest BIOS as my riser is Gen3

• SSUPD Meshilicous

• GIGABYTE VISION 3070 FHR

• 32GB CRUTIAL BALLISTIX 3200MHZ CL16

• 1TB SN750

• SF750

RAM that caused the ISSUE: 32GB 3600MHZ CL18

Would like to hear any solution to this annoying issue

Welcome to the forums!!!

Perhaps, updating the BIOS is going to be the next thing to do as it'll improve memory compatibility and stability of the system. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

When you have 3200C16, 3600C18 is not an upgrade. it's a sidegrade.

What's the exact modelnumber and version number (like CMH16GX4M2D3600C18 ver. 4.32) of your new RAM?

35 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Perhaps, updating the BIOS is going to be the next thing to do as it'll improve memory compatibility and stability of the system. 

Thanks, yep, I'm thinking that but I'm using the old memory now and still facing the same issues. I'm just trying to revert back to normal which a BIOS update wouldn't change, right?

27 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

When you have 3200C16, 3600C18 is not an upgrade. it's a sidegrade.

What's the exact modelnumber and version number (like CMH16GX4M2D3600C18 ver. 4.32) of your new RAM?

Yep, I understand that, it was from a friend who was parting out his PC. I just wanted the RGB in the case to add a bit of light

Model Number - CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W

34 minutes ago, ethan308666 said:

update bios then well see what we can do next

I'm happy to but not too sure on how to deal with getting a display out afterwards

10 minutes ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

Yep, I understand that, it was from a friend who was parting out his PC. I just wanted the RGB in the case to add a bit of light

Model Number - CMH32GX4M2D3600C18W

The version number is also important to know. It's written on the sticks directly under the voltage.

4 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

The version number is also important to know. It's written on the sticks directly under the voltage.

V3.44

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Never seen 3.44 before. it's Micron MIC but which. Can you post a screenshot from Taiphoon burner? That tells us more.

Sure, here you are, I've stopped using the Corsair RAM and back to the Crucial but the instabilities continue

Screenshot (1).png

9 minutes ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

I've stopped using the Corsair RAM and back to the Crucial but the instabilities continue

Did you reset the MB BIOS?

Corsair RAM is Micron B-die. Not that good with Ryzen but you can try with Ryzen DRAM Calculator to find the optimal timings.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Did you reset the MB BIOS?

Corsair RAM is Micron B-die. Not that good with Ryzen but you can try with Ryzen DRAM Calculator to find the optimal timings.

I have not as previously, I was unable to get any display out as the riser in my case is a Gen3 and refuses to function unless its manually selected in the BIOS

31 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Take out the CMOS battery for a minute.

Yep, planning to update the BIOS tomorrow, will keep you updated

4 hours ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

Thanks, yep, I'm thinking that but I'm using the old memory now and still facing the same issues. I'm just trying to revert back to normal which a BIOS update wouldn't change, right?

That's true. Go ahead and clear CMOS and this should revert BIOS settings to default. This will force the BIOS have to retrain the memory to run again at stock speeds. Once you get back into BIOS, you should be able to enable the XMP profile for the old kit and work. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

20 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's true. Go ahead and clear CMOS and this should revert BIOS settings to default. This will force the BIOS have to retrain the memory to run again at stock speeds. Once you get back into BIOS, you should be able to enable the XMP profile for the old kit and work. 

yep, will get that done, I have deleted NZXT CAM and have not faced the issue ever since. I have ordered a gen4 riser and will update the bios to prevent issues like these, thank you very much for your help!

8 minutes ago, CookieTheLabrador said:

yep, will get that done, I have deleted NZXT CAM and have not faced the issue ever since. I have ordered a gen4 riser and will update the bios to prevent issues like these, thank you very much for your help!

Anytime!!