Weird CPU Temps

govvern

Hi everyone,

Was really curious to see some temperature readouts from my 5950x. 

While benchmarking on heaven benchmark I’m seeing my CPU hover around 72C once it’s been running for a about 15 minutes. It never goes past 8% usage and despite that I’m seeing temperatures in that range.

As for cinebench, I’m not seeing even close to the same results. On a multi core benchmark I’m not seeing it going past 63C even at a full load. And on a single core load not past 66C

So it’s a bit confusing how a test not designed to stress my CPU is resulting in higher temperatures. I’m not sure if I have bad airflow in my case but I couldn’t imagine that being true considering my setup.

- No PBO enabled

- No custom fan curves

- GPU boosted to 1800MHz out of the box

- Nvidia Control Panel “Prefer Maximum

Performance” is enabled.

Any advice would be great. Thank you. 

Set Up:

MOBO - ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Pro

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

GPU - EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming

RAM - 2x 16GB CL16 Crucial Ballistix 

Storage - 1x 500GB 980 Pro M.2 NVME 

- 1x 1TB 980 Pro M.2 NVME

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan)

Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow

Fan Config - 3 Front Intake, 3 Top Exhaust, 1 Back Exhaust 

''Heaven Benchmark is a GPU-intensive benchmark that hammers graphics cards to the limits."

Hot air from the GPU must be heating the whole case so much it has the same effect as if room temperature was 6 degrees higher during CPU only benchmark.

My guess would be bad airflow. More fans doesn't equal more better. The three top exhaust, particularly the one(s) closest to the front are likely dumping out your front intake before it even has a chance to reach your components. Additionally, the 3080 Ti is going to be dumping a ton of hot air into your case, particularly towards the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

My guess would be bad airflow. More fans doesn't equal more better. The three top exhaust, particularly the one(s) closest to the front are likely dumping out your front intake before it even has a chance to reach your components. Additionally, the 3080 Ti is going to be dumping a ton of hot air into your case, particularly towards the CPU.

So if that’s the case how can I manage better airflow with the fan set up I have now? As of right now all 6 front and top fans are running off of one PWM chassis fan header utilizing the fan hub that comes with the case. I’m not sure if I’m able to control individual fan speeds.

10 minutes ago, govvern said:

So if that’s the case how can I manage better airflow with the fan set up I have now? As of right now all 6 front and top fans are running off of one PWM chassis fan header utilizing the fan hub that comes with the case. I’m not sure if I’m able to control individual fan speeds.

You'd probably do better removing the front two or even all three top exhaust.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse