Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Incredibly, unbeliveably loud coil whine

Mel0nMan

I'm not exaggerating with the title. I have a ThinkCentre with an early Core 2 Duo (don't know much more about it, got it from the trash and can't find much info about it) that makes squealing sounds while in use.

It's not through the PC speaker, it's coming from the motherboard. Not the HDD, not fans... and it's actually louder than an SSD. It's the level of volume where it can be heard across a small room. It seems to get higher pitch and louder for higher CPU usage and happens most on Firefox.

Is there any actual fix for this other than taking it back to the ewaste and using a different PC? It gets quite hot so I don't want to add any padding, etc as not to cook the poor thing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

if the machine is that old theres no reasonable fix short of just using a machine that doesn;t do that , could at least try a different power supply on it to see if the psu is just old and making bad power

Check the power supply. A whining noise that changes with different CPU loads can be the PSU. 

Phobos (Primary Desktop)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 960GB Crucial M500, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Pluto (Secondary Desktop, Plex Server)

Intel Core i7-2600, 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 700W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS/Plex Server)

Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 1GB PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6950, 240GB Kingston V300, 1x3TB HDD, 3x2TB HDD, 750W Dell PSU, Dell XPS 630i case, Windows Server 2019

Mid 2011 27" iMac (General Purpose Desktop)

Intel Core i5-2400, 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Apple Z68 Logic Board, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2TB WD Blue, macOS High Sierra

Other notable systems:

Spoiler

Living Room Gaming/Media PC

Intel Core i7-2600, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 (HP OEM), 2GB AMD Radeon R9 270 (Dell OEM), 1TB Crucial MX500, 600W NZXT PSU, Antec ATX Case, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Dell Precision T3500 (General Purpose Workstation)

Intel Xeon X5690, 20GB 1333MHz DDR3, Dell X58 MB, 256MB Nvidia Quadro NVS 295, 240GB Intel SSD, 550W Dell PSU, Dell OEM Case, Windows Server 2012 R2

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

if the machine is that old theres no reasonable fix short of just using a machine that doesn;t do that , could at least try a different power supply on it to see if the psu is just old and making bad power

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Check the power supply. A whining noise that changes with different CPU loads can be the PSU. 

Will do.

To be fair... the PSU looks like it got kicked at some point, huge dent in the back. I assume that could be the issue.

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

That's how my 1kw PSU sounded when I was benching the GTX 580s and GTX 480 on water. It would change pitch with scene changes and camera angles. Quite impressive. The bigger the load, the louder it got. That was last December. 

The PSU was then moved to my case to drive a daily. All is good and quiet F@H with a 2060 lol. 

So really, try a different PSU if you have one .... guessing proprietary, so not. 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's how my 1kw PSU sounded when I was benching the GTX 580s and GTX 480 on water. It would change pitch with scene changes and camera angles.

Are you sure the sound was actually coming from the PSU???

Because that's exactly what my GPU (Nvidia RTX 3070) does above 300fps or so... at 600 fps it starts to become really hilarious... like an alarm siren or something! 

Just curious why the PSU itself would make this sound? 🤔

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Machines

-ColdFusion, 2021

7 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Will do.

I agree,  changing the psu might fix it, my initial idea however was, if you can pin point the source exactly,  on the motherboard,  you could try with some none conductive silicone glue around the actual coil - if it's accessible - maybe something to try if changing the psu doesn't fix it, and yeah i know it's a wild suggestion,  just an idea. I did this at my old work with "tags" for oil rigs we custom made, it wasn't for coilwhine but simply to make the whole device more sturdy... (had to survive a fall from 2m or so iirc)

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Machines

-ColdFusion, 2021

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Are you sure the sound was actually coming from the PSU???

Because that's exactly what my GPU (Nvidia RTX 3070) does above 300fps or so... at 600 fps it starts to become really hilarious... like an alarm siren or something! 

Just curious why the PSU itself would make this sound? 🤔

Very sure, the PSU on the bench is very distinguishable when not in a case.

Had a couple GPUs with coil whine too. Not as bad as the PSU though.

PSU has the biggest coils, current can become audible at certain frequencies. I just feel bad for the dog lol.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler