Motherboard BIOS update help. Aorus x470 Ultra gaming

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x470 Ultra gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

GPU: Nvidia GTX 2060 Super

Ok, so I've had this motherboard and CPU for a couple years now so I was thinking of buying an R5 5600x since the 2600x is getting up in years.

Visiting the Gigabyte website for the motherboard, I read that I need to install BIOS update F60 to be able to use the 5600x. BIOS F40 says to install F31 before F40. F30 has a note saying "Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before updating to this BIOS" so I look for that Chipset Driver and it's nowhere to be found on the site, so I install the latest (3.08.06.148) Chipset Driver.

Alright, first try updating the BIOS I try to install F31, skipping over F3g, F3, F5, F6 and F30). Q-flash says the update is successful, but after rebooting, the screen freezes at the BIOS/Aorus logo screen, keyboard input does nothing. The red CPU light turns on. I get video output from my GPU too.

I read somewhere that you can restore the backup BIOS by holding Power and Reset on the case for 10~15 seconds. I do that and the BIOS resets back to F2 (the stock, original BIOS). Back to square one.

So after this bad experience, I try updating the BIOS without skipping any version. F3g was successful, no problem. F3 was successful, alright. F5 was successful, neat. F6 was successful, so far so good. Now, I try with F30, but the same freeze at the BIOS screen happens, what a nightmare. 

I try to reset my BIOS with the Power and Reset button, but that doesn't work. I try again after disconnecting everything and shorting the CLR_CMOS pins, nothing. I try again after removing the motherboard battery for ~15 minutes, nothing.

Did I do something wrong? Is there any way to recover this or is the motherboard trashed now? I've tried looking around for help or people having similar problems, but I haven't found anything helpful.

Should I just buy a new motherboard for the 5600x?

39 minutes ago, Steel Kaiser said:

Ok, so I've had this motherboard and CPU for a couple years now so I was thinking of buying an R5 5600x since the 2600x is getting up in years.

Visiting the Gigabyte website for the motherboard, I read that I need to install BIOS update F60 to be able to use the 5600x. BIOS F40 says to install F31 before F40. F30 has a note saying "Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before updating to this BIOS" so I look for that Chipset Driver and it's nowhere to be found on the site, so I install the latest (3.08.06.148) Chipset Driver.

Alright, first try updating the BIOS I try to install F31, skipping over F3g, F3, F5, F6 and F30). Q-flash says the update is successful, but after rebooting, the screen freezes at the BIOS/Aorus logo screen, keyboard input does nothing. The red CPU light turns on. I get video output from my GPU too.

I read somewhere that you can restore the backup BIOS by holding Power and Reset on the case for 10~15 seconds. I do that and the BIOS resets back to F2 (the stock, original BIOS). Back to square one.

So after this bad experience, I try updating the BIOS without skipping any version. F3g was successful, no problem. F3 was successful, alright. F5 was successful, neat. F6 was successful, so far so good. Now, I try with F30, but the same freeze at the BIOS screen happens, what a nightmare. 

I try to reset my BIOS with the Power and Reset button, but that doesn't work. I try again after disconnecting everything and shorting the CLR_CMOS pins, nothing. I try again after removing the motherboard battery for ~15 minutes, nothing.

Did I do something wrong? Is there any way to recover this or is the motherboard trashed now? I've tried looking around for help or people having similar problems, but I haven't found anything helpful.

If you e got a viable bios update system like flashback you should be able to throw any bios in it you want via USB, so I don’t think it’s bricked.  It’s possible your download of what ever update keeps horking is problematic though.  I might consider downloading a fresh instance of it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you e got a viable bios update system like flashback you should be able to throw any bios in it you want via USB, so I don’t think it’s bricked.  It’s possible your download of what ever update keeps horking is problematic though.  I might consider downloading a fresh instance of it. 

I don't think this motherboard has flashback, so I don't think I can flash the BIOS from USB like that. 

I thought the same thing about the download, so I downloaded the BIOS version again on my second try but that didn't work either.

Another question, when shorting the CLR_CMOS pins, should I do that with the battery off or on the motherboard?

I might try reseating the CPU later today too

37 minutes ago, Steel Kaiser said:

I don't think this motherboard has flashback, so I don't think I can flash the BIOS from USB like that. 

I thought the same thing about the download, so I downloaded the BIOS version again on my second try but that didn't work either.

Another question, when shorting the CLR_CMOS pins, should I do that with the battery off or on the motherboard?

I might try reseating the CPU later today too

Shorting the CMOS pins and removing the battery should both reset CMOS.  The battery removal starves it of power and the pin shorting does something different iirc, though I may be wrong about that.  I’ve always been an “unplug the machine from the wall, pull the cmos battery and wait a bit” fan though.  A “nuke the site from orbit” kinda thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Shorting the CMOS pins and removing the battery should both reset CMOS.  The battery removal starves it of power and the pin shorting does something different iirc, though I may be wrong about that.  I’ve always been an “unplug the machine from the wall, pull the cmos battery and wait a bit” fan though.  A “nuke the site from orbit” kinda thing.

So it should have been reset after just removing and reinserting the battery, then.

Yeah, I'm about to nuke this damn motherboard alright.

22 minutes ago, Steel Kaiser said:

So it should have been reset after just removing and reinserting the battery, then.

Yeah, I'm about to nuke this damn motherboard alright.

Sometimes anyway.  The downside of the remove-the-battery CMOS reset thing is it can take a variable amount of time for the power to drain away.  Sometimes it’s near instant, sometimes it isn’t.  I’ve seen “leave it for 15 minutes just to be sure” remarked as an option.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sometimes anyway.  The downside of the remove-the-battery CMOS reset thing is it can take a variable amount of time for the power to drain away.  Sometimes it’s near instant, sometimes it isn’t.  I’ve seen “leave it for 15 minutes just to be sure” remarked as an option.

i did leave the battery out for like 20 minutes the last time, but it still didn't work.

Is there a surefire way to know if a board is bricked? It puzzles my mind how the backup BIOS worked the first time by holding the buttons but it just doesn't work now.

3 hours ago, Steel Kaiser said:

i did leave the battery out for like 20 minutes the last time, but it still didn't work.

Is there a surefire way to know if a board is bricked? It puzzles my mind how the backup BIOS worked the first time by holding the buttons but it just doesn't work now.

The sure fire thing would be to test with the same system but a known good motherboard. If the thing suddenly works the problem was somewhere on the motherboard.  If it exhibits the same problems it’s most likely somewhere else, though such things as bios can still be considered, as they’re  part of and not part of the motherboard. The reverse of the same would be to test the motherboard in a system with known good other parts. Same problems though.

Edited by Bombastinator

After me and a couple friends tried every trick in the book, I've come to the conclusion that I need to buy a new motherboard.

Is the Gigabyte X570 UD a good enough fit for the R5 2600x (my current CPU) and the R5 5600x (the one I bought)?

I think I would need to update the BIOS for that one, so that kind of creeps me out. I just want my stuff to work at this point.

22 minutes ago, Steel Kaiser said:

After me and a couple friends tried every trick in the book, I've come to the conclusion that I need to buy a new motherboard.

Is the Gigabyte X570 UD a good enough fit for the R5 2600x (my current CPU) and the R5 5600x (the one I bought)?

I think I would need to update the BIOS for that one, so that kind of creeps me out. I just want my stuff to work at this point.

The problem is the ones that will work well with ryzen plus don’t always work well with ryzen3. My understanding is you pretty much need to update bios for ryzen3 no matter what, though you can sometimes do it with a ryzen3.  “5000 ready” does not mean it will need no bios updates.  I’m not a superfan of bios updates either.  My move for ryzen is to get a board with some kind of USB based bios flashback AND a UPS, and hope you never need either.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, Steel Kaiser said:

Solucionaste tu problema? Llegaste a algo? Compraste una placa madre nueva ?

Estoy con el mismo problema, intente saltarme la f30 a la f31 y Paf lo mismo, se quedó pegado en el logo aorus