Need help choosing my ram

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

The memory speed and timings are what affect performance, the brand and model of memory affect whether the memory will work on your motherboard (more unknown brands usually aren't on the QVL and can have issues with certain motherboards) and how good the warranty service will be if you happen to get something DOA. All three of those names are known for making pretty good memory, so given that they're found on your motherboard's QVL, they should work no problem. After making sure that they're present on the QVL, find which ever kit has the fastest frequency (up to 3600MHz, anything faster will have a hard time running on Ryzen), the tightest timings (the CL- number, lower is better), and what you think looks the best, in that order. Throw price in there as well as a sanity check to make sure you aren't paying double for CL17 compared to CL18 or something like that.

Hy guys, how are you? Hope your fine. I want to change my ram but I dont know which one to choose. I have a ryzen 5 3600 as my cpu, and a b450 from aorus. I have 3 brands in mind, trident z, corsair and hyperx. Here in argentina triden z cl14 dont exist practically and the ones that are in sale are double the price compared to the cl18 ones. I´ve been watching some benchmarcks and there´s not that much difference between this two types of memories, but I dont know if the two other brands have any of those type of memory. If anyone has any page or something where I can look what type of memories has corsair and hyperx rams I would be very greatful.

PD: I mention the corsair and hyperx because they are much cheaper than trident z and if I can get the same performance for the same price it would be awesome

The memory speed and timings are what affect performance, the brand and model of memory affect whether the memory will work on your motherboard (more unknown brands usually aren't on the QVL and can have issues with certain motherboards) and how good the warranty service will be if you happen to get something DOA. All three of those names are known for making pretty good memory, so given that they're found on your motherboard's QVL, they should work no problem. After making sure that they're present on the QVL, find which ever kit has the fastest frequency (up to 3600MHz, anything faster will have a hard time running on Ryzen), the tightest timings (the CL- number, lower is better), and what you think looks the best, in that order. Throw price in there as well as a sanity check to make sure you aren't paying double for CL17 compared to CL18 or something like that.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Awesome! Thank you very much your information was very usefull for me. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Sory but I thought about xmp profile. Would xmp profile affect for worst my cpu with a 3600 memory? as you said that frecuency was the limit, I dont know if its better to buy 3200 and acitvate the xmp, or it will be okey to buy 3600 and acitvate the xmp?

5 minutes ago, El Pipa said:

Sory but I thought about xmp profile. Would xmp profile affect for worst my cpu with a 3600 memory? as you said that frecuency was the limit, I dont know if its better to buy 3200 and acitvate the xmp, or it will be okey to buy 3600 and acitvate the xmp?

The XMP profile is just (practically speaking, it doesn't work exactly like this) a text file on the memory module that tells the motherboard "Hey, these are the speeds I can run at." Enabling the XMP profile is basically just the motherboard entering all the frequency, voltage, timings, sub-timings, etc. that the memory is rated for without you having to do it manually. Worst case scenario, you might have to tweak a couple of those numbers to get it to work at the rated 3600MHz if that's the kit you buy. I'd go for that kit as long as the respective timings are good (3600MHz CL18 is slower than 3200MHz CL14). Don't worry about the XMP profile, as long as you aren't buying super fast memory (i.e. 4800MHz CL18) it should just work, and if it doesn't, people on here will help you get it to work and tell you what numbers to tweak and by how much.