New NAS setup software and hardware recommendation

What it will be used for

• Tv and Film (Approx 900 DVD and 700 blu ray) that need to be ripped and got out of the living room.
  • One windows VM for jdownloader, torrent, ext (Currently this is on a i5-4690K Ram 16gb and 120gb SSD with files stored on a sinology NAS ).
  • 2Tb of Photos iv added 500gb to this in last year (photography is my hobby and I don’t like to delete photos).
  • 3Tb of junk im too lazy to sort throw.

Total storage for the new NAS not shore but I need room to grow. Its been a long time sins I last looked ripping a DVD maybe 10 or 15 years no idea what size or file formant will work best for me I do what to keep the image and sound quality up.

There should only be 2 or 3 users max at any one time.

Software the more I read the more im not shore.

For the tv and film plex or something similar (No ongoing monthly payment for Software if I can help it).

NAS side needs

• Good gui im very dyslexic so me and command line are not a good mix.
  • Some way to back up some of my local pc to the NAS.
  • Good support.
  • No ongoing monthly payment if I can help it.
  • Remote access when im traveling.

Hardware i already have and what to use if I can

• MSI x99a Gaming Pro Carbon.
  • Xeon E5-1603 v3 (4C 4T).
  • Antec 900 with bay adapter for 13 3.5 HDDs.

The MSI x99a Gaming Pro Carbon supports the v3 and v4 Xeon E5 lots of CPU to pick from there.

Home networking in gigabit with the plan go faster with the NAS to HTPC and gaming / editing PC links.

I don’t have the funds today to it all in one go so happy to experiment with Software with some of my older unused hardware got lots of old unused HDD to test with to work out what works best for me.

Beget I don’t have one I mind i would rather it take a bit longer and i get what i need so I don’t end up redoing this in a year or 2 i will peace this together as and when I can over the next 6 months or so.

Also any suggestion of how I rip all those DVD and blu ray without going mad would be much appreciated.

SInce you already have the synology, why not just upgrade the synology? They can run the vm, and hold more than enough storage for your use here.

But yea you can use that x99 board, the xeon, and the case. Add some hdds. 

Id probably run unraid. Easy to use, easy to expand.

Id backup your pc with something like veeam.