So I managed to install debian 11 without learning any basics

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Vanilla Debian usually isn't the best place to start as a beginner, but it's definitely not the worst place.聽That said, there are a couple questions I have first.

First, how did you try installing the apps, via the software center or through the terminal?

What DE are you running, IIRC Gnome is default but you could've selected something else during install.

What are you trying to install?

What files did you try downloading?

Screenshots of your errors would also be helpful if you wouldn't mind sending them.

Ive installed Debian on a friends suggestion turns out i know nothing about it, i tried to install a couple apps but i keep getting the pop up box saying could not load updater,... i downloaded multiple files it shows them as corrupt, would totally be glad if someone could help me fix this 馃檪 馃檪

Vanilla Debian usually isn't the best place to start as a beginner, but it's definitely not the worst place.聽That said, there are a couple questions I have first.

First, how did you try installing the apps, via the software center or through the terminal?

What DE are you running, IIRC Gnome is default but you could've selected something else during install.

What are you trying to install?

What files did you try downloading?

Screenshots of your errors would also be helpful if you wouldn't mind sending them.

How are you trying to install them? The usual way to install software on a Linux聽system is by using the distribution's package manager.

For example:

apt-get install <package-name>

Some also have a graphical package manager which is a bit more user friendly.

You do not typically download and install software from somewhere else.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

software center does not have telegram, so i downloaded it from the telegram site and when i try to install, I get this thing select install pop up there as someone suggested i installed gdebi but it didnt work either ooh i tried to open it from there now umm i think i managed to install damn i sound like a potato lol, so anyway thank you for helping me out

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

How are you trying to install them? The usual way to install software on a Linux聽system is by using the distribution's package manager.

For example:

apt-get install <package-name>

Some also have a graphical package manager which is a bit more user friendly.

You do not typically download and install software from somewhere else.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, karanam said:

software center does not have telegram

So far as I can see, Telegram should be available for Debian 11 (aka Bullseye):

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/telegram-desktop

Otherwise, as @RONOTHAN## said, it would be helpful if you could be more specific and/or provide screenshots. Which package did you download, how did you try to install it, what's the exact error message? If you download software from somewhere else, ideally you want to download the Debian version, if it exists (e.g. a ".deb" package) and then use "sudo dpkg -i example.dep" to install it.

1 minute ago, karanam said:

software center does not have telegram, so i downloaded it from the telegram site and when i try to install, I get this thing select install pop up there as someone suggested i installed gdebi but it didnt work either ooh i tried to open it from there now umm i think i managed to install damn i sound like a potato lol, so anyway thank you for helping me out

OK, so Telegram is distributed as a Tarball, which IMO are a bit of a pain to setup. The easier option would probably be to setup Flatpak and use that for installing and using Telegram.聽

https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/

Follow this guide for setting up Flatpak and Flathub, then getting Telegram, Discord, etc. should just be

flatpak install telegram

LMK if this works out.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, so Telegram is distributed as a Tarball, which IMO are a bit of a pain to setup. The easier option would probably be to setup Flatpak and use that for installing and using Telegram.

Telegram should be available natively (see: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/telegram-desktop), so before you try Flatpak, maybe try

sudo apt-get install telegram-desktop

from the terminal

Installing programs wasn't the biggest issue for me, took me 3 friggin' days to get my Canon MF4770 installed AND working.