Windows 10 Upgrade constantly failing

Wohao_Gaster
Go to solution Solved by Wohao_Gaster,
On 10/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What are your system specs?

Anything that originally comes with w7 is prob decade old crap hardware that will run like absolute garbage on w10, more like a downgrade rather than an update

W7, 4GB ram, VM tho

So I've decided to try out windows 11, but via a VM(so that if I don't like it I don't have to keep it), and it was originally windows 7 which can apparently not run the upgrade.

So I decided to upgrade to 10 first but it constantly keeps coming up with this error

image.png.533df48e2fe69257c4cf922231cab96e.png

Is this normal?(I don't know for myself because this is my first time installing windows 10, my main PC had it installed by my manufacturer)

How do iFixIt?(not sponsored)

Anything that originally comes with w7 is prob decade old crap hardware that will run like absolute garbage on w10, more like a downgrade rather than an update

If you were running a VM with Windows 7 it is going to be setup using Legacy(MBR) which is not compatible with Windows 11, even if you upgrade it to Windows 10 it will still be in Legacy. You need to either make a new Windows 11 VM that is setup in UEFI(GPT) or make a fresh Windows 10 VM in UEFI and then upgrade it to Windows 11. Otherwise it is not going to work. The easiest way for you to get Windows 11 running on a VM would be to just set up a new VM, not try to reconfigure your old one.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

On 10/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

W7, 4GB ram, VM tho

On 10/15/2021 at 7:33 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

If you were running a VM with Windows 7 it is going to be setup using Legacy(MBR) which is not compatible with Windows 11, even if you upgrade it to Windows 10 it will still be in Legacy. You need to either make a new Windows 11 VM that is setup in UEFI(GPT) or make a fresh Windows 10 VM in UEFI and then upgrade it to Windows 11. Otherwise it is not going to work. The easiest way for you to get Windows 11 running on a VM would be to just set up a new VM, not try to reconfigure your old one.

Thanks!