Throttle CPU when PC is inactive

caleb1

In the power plan settings of windows 10 I can select a maximum processor state, and I can get it to throttle the CPU down to 0.9 to 1.2 GHz.  (Its base speed is 2.5)

When plugged in and settings set to high performance my CPU seems to stay around 4.1 GHz (Its max speed is 4.5) even when there is little load on it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get it to slow the CPU to as slow as possible (like 0.5 to 1 GHz) when inactivity is detected (Like whenever the screen times out and turns off) and then speed back up when I start using the PC again?.  Or does anyone know if it perhaps does this by default I just never see it happen?

I suppose I could manually switch power plans when I walk away from the PC, but that would be the last resort.

Thanks.

54 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

In the power plan settings of windows 10 I can select a maximum processor state, and I can get it to throttle the CPU down to 0.9 to 1.2 GHz.  (Its base speed is 2.5)

When plugged in and settings set to high performance my CPU seems to stay around 4.1 GHz (Its max speed is 4.5) even when there is little load on it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get it to slow the CPU to as slow as possible (like 0.5 to 1 GHz) when inactivity is detected (Like whenever the screen times out and turns off) and then speed back up when I start using the PC again?.  Or does anyone know if it perhaps does this by default I just never see it happen?

I suppose I could manually switch power plans when I walk away from the PC, but that would be the last resort.

Thanks.

You may have energy/heat backwards.   What are you interested in minimizing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

and settings set to high performance

There's your problem. Turn it to balanced. High performance locks your CPU at its max speed. Balanced will still let it get up to max speed, but it won't lock it there. Minimal if any performance loss when actually doing something intense.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

On 10/14/2021 at 10:54 PM, BobVonBob said:

There's your problem. Turn it to balanced. High performance locks your CPU at its max speed. Balanced will still let it get up to max speed, but it won't lock it there. Minimal if any performance loss when actually doing something intense.

Ah I see.  In the advanced settings that is the "minimum processor state" which is set to 100% in high performance.

The thing to do would be keep max processor state at 100% but lower the min processor state.

Thanks!

On 10/14/2021 at 10:07 PM, Bombastinator said:

You may have energy/heat backwards.   What are you interested in minimizing?

Both?  I would imagine reducing CPU speed would reduce both energy consumption and heat generation?