What is going on with this mobo usb port numbering?

nelska

I am all confused trying to plug and play my mouse and keyboard. Mainly because my keyboard is a "USB 3.0" huntsman v2 by razer. I have no idea where to plug everything in. I have the keyboard in 9 and the mouse in 7. Nothing about my computer feels right. I shouldnt have tried to build one myself. lol. (b250 pc mate).

sdfgsdfg.jpg

It will not make a lick of difference where you plug in your mouse and keyboard. 

The only thing really worth mentioning is if you had higher speed devices, you'd want the blue (3.0) ports free'd up so you might as well use port 7 & 8. 

Just now, rickeo said:

It will not make a lick of difference where you plug in your mouse and keyboard. 

The only thing really worth mentioning is if you had higher speed devices, you'd want the blue (3.0) ports free'd up so you might as well use port 7 & 8. 

the keyboard says on it when you install it that it needs a usb 3.0 port to run efficiently. but I ran some software and it claims the keyboard itself is a 2.0 device but the passthrough port on the keyboard itself is a usb 3.0 passthrough. Which is hilarious. because I think they did JUST THAT so they could claim it was a usb 3.0 keyboard. lmao. and even on support with razer they are like naah. lol

1 minute ago, nelska said:

the keyboard says on it when you install it that it needs a usb 3.0 port to run efficiently. but I ran some software and it claims the keyboard itself is a 2.0 device but the passthrough port on the keyboard itself is a usb 3.0 passthrough. Which is hilarious. because I think they did JUST THAT so they could claim it was a usb 3.0 keyboard. lmao. and even on support with razer they are like naah. lol

If you plan to use the passthrough ports on the keyboard with 3.0 devices then use any of the blue ports on the motherboard. Otherwise it won't matter.

Just now, rickeo said:

If you plan to use the passthrough ports on the keyboard with 3.0 devices then use any of the blue ports on the motherboard. Otherwise it won't matter.

I need to upgrade to a mobo that doesnt even support 2.0 devices anymore. would clear a ton up for me. Ive had a pc for like 25 years and i hate the backwards compatible stuff these days doesnt make any sense. 

7 minutes ago, nelska said:

I need to upgrade to a mobo that doesnt even support 2.0 devices anymore. would clear a ton up for me. Ive had a pc for like 25 years and i hate the backwards compatible stuff these days doesnt make any sense. 

What doesn't make sense? Boards having a couple 2.0 ports and more 3.0+ ports is extremely common on even high end stuff and really simple.

9 minutes ago, nelska said:

You literally can't. USB 2.0 is embedded within the spec for USB 3.x.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Just now, rickeo said:

What doesn't make sense? Boards having a couple 2.0 ports and more 3.0+ ports is extremely common on even high end stuff and really simple.

I'm just really ocd about making sure my keyboard is plugged in first and mouse second. so im not like poking my eye out looking down at the keyboard. but theres no information about port numbers for usb. I took a usb memory stick and plugged it in 1 port at a time in device manager to get it to show me which number is which. lmao. and i literally couldnt find port 1 anywhere. I think its something about extra ports i dont have plugged into the case because the front case ports are 2 and 3 next to the power switch. I have a wifi bluetooth pcie slot adapter plugged into where more usb ports would go. Honestly considering a prebuilt at this point lmao. 

Shit, I'd just use the PS2 and an old school mechanical keyboard, mouse where ever. F-it. 

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

You literally can't. USB 2.0 is embedded within the spec for USB 3.x.

Maybe im making this up in my head but i swear I was taught to make sure the keyboards plugged in first just incase the mouse dies you have a way to use task manager. but now a days they say nothing about it. and they only give you usb ports without labeling them. all the plugs in the mobo itself are numbered. but nothing about it on the back of the external half of the machine. 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Shit, I'd just use the PS2 and an old school mechanical keyboard, mouse where ever. F-it. 

IKR! lol. i do even need a new mobo that literally doesnt have that crap on it anymore. hahah 2022

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

I'm just really ocd about making sure my keyboard is plugged in first and mouse second. so im not like poking my eye out looking down at the keyboard. but theres no information about port numbers for usb. I took a usb memory stick and plugged it in 1 port at a time in device manager to get it to show me which number is which. lmao. and i literally couldnt find port 1 anywhere. I think its something about extra ports i dont have plugged into the case because the front case ports are 2 and 3 next to the power switch. I have a wifi bluetooth pcie slot adapter plugged into where more usb ports would go. Honestly considering a prebuilt at this point lmao. 

Oh, well this Is a new level of OCD I don’t know if I can help with lol

In 15 years of PC building I don’t think I’ve thought about USB port numbers or why that would matter even once. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

Oh, well this Is a new level of OCD I don’t know if I can help with lol

In 15 years of PC building I don’t think I’ve thought about USB port numbers or why that would matter even once. 

then I guess ill be alright. hahaha

Just now, nelska said:

IKR! lol. i do even need a new mobo that literally doesnt have that crap on it anymore. hahah 2022

Well the boards that don't have it on the back I/O will have it on the board somewhere you'd plug your front panel USB into. This sometimes helps for those in a jam and the USB keyboard died and need direct 2.0 support in bios and os. 

So you could get a new board. But that's only cause you want to I think. I've read your posts.... you just want a nicer newer better board... lol (I think anyways haha)

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well the boards that don't have it on the back I/O will have it on the board somewhere you'd plug your front panel USB into. This sometimes helps for those in a jam and the USB keyboard died and need direct 2.0 support in bios and os. 

So you could get a new board. But that's only cause you want to I think. I've read your posts.... you just want a nicer newer better board... lol (I think anyways haha)

yeh, seriously. but im stuck in skylake 6th gen cpu. if i do anything it would cost me  almost a thousand bucks because I would need a new cpu too. My case has been mutilated because I cut the side panel out and then didnt like the side fan so i taped it back together. lmfao. my psu is 500watts. basically I need a complete rebuild. and i had just recently bought a new gpu 1050ti upgraded from a gtx 960 which literally is slower but can do gsync. lol. ive got thousands into a nightmare here. but thats ok i guess. the keyboard is analog i bought it so i could use the keyboard as a joystick in halo but it doesnt work. lmao. 250 bucks. doesnt work hahahaaha

EDIT: I've got a 150 dollar apc battery back up surge protector I bought to plug my wallwart modem and router into but they dont fit. and if i ground it through the coaxials it ruins my bandwidth speed so i cant use it. lmao. Seriously if i could just like haul it off on someone i would but it would be so evil. Id take the money back to start over with in a flash. but thats technology. you gotta pay to play ect. 

1 minute ago, nelska said:

yeh, seriously. but im stuck in skylake 6th gen cpu. if i do anything it would cost me  almost a thousand bucks because I would need a new cpu too. My case has been mutilated because I cut the side panel out and then didnt like the side fan so i taped it back together. lmfao. my psu is 500watts. basically I need a complete rebuild. and i had just recently bought a new gpu 1050ti upgraded from a gtx 960 which literally is slower but can do gsync. lol. ive got thousands into a nightmare here. but thats ok i guess. the keyboard is analog i bought it so i could use the keyboard as a joystick in halo but it doesnt work. lmao. 250 bucks. doesnt work hahahaaha

Well.... It's not a terrible set up. The card is meh, I'll give you that. But SkyLake is decent enough. Just need them cores and threads these days. And some extra cpu epeen helps.

I have nothing newer than 8th gen and 2nd gen Ryzen. 

At one time used FX daily. Sure, I had shit frame rates. But I could buy 3 or 4 cpus and slap it in the same board and F around with it. So to cap there, I mainly like to overclock. Sometimes competitively. The cheaper stuff was the way to go.

For you, A B450 something board. Covers all Ryzen generations depending on bios revison. To get the Epeen of that Skylake, you want at least a 2600 (X or nonX). But you'd have the core count and thread count, availability to upgrade 3rd and 4th gen later if you get coins. 

Maybe sell the Skylake to balance to cost. Don't think it will cost thousands, just some careful planning. I suggested AMD because of the upgradability. For sure Intel has some 10th gen options that would look appealing I think. 

Well.... It's not a terrible set up. The card is meh, I'll give you that. But SkyLake is decent enough. Just need them cores and threads these days. And some extra cpu epeen helps.

I have nothing newer than 8th gen and 2nd gen Ryzen. 

At one time used FX daily. Sure, I had shit frame rates. But I could buy 3 or 4 cpus and slap it in the same board and F around with it. So to cap there, I mainly like to overclock. Sometimes competitively. The cheaper stuff was the way to go.

For you, A B450 something board. Covers all Ryzen generations depending on bios revison. To get the Epeen of that Skylake, you want at least a 2600 (X or nonX). But you'd have the core count and thread count, availability to upgrade 3rd and 4th gen later if you get coins. 

Maybe sell the Skylake to balance to cost. Don't think it will cost thousands, just some careful planning. I suggested AMD because of the upgradability. For sure Intel has some 10th gen options that would look appealing I think. 

im really into it cuz now windows 11 doesnt support my multicore processor over 1ghz. so i duno how they could even justify it not being compatible. they just cut the whole generation out even tho its way more powerful than newer tablet and laptop models thatll support it. 

18 minutes ago, nelska said:

im really into it cuz now windows 11 doesnt support my multicore processor over 1ghz. so i duno how they could even justify it not being compatible. they just cut the whole generation out even tho its way more powerful than newer tablet and laptop models thatll support it. 

Monopoly I think it's called.

Pushing TPM, a feature that's been around forever that no one ever gave 2 shits about...

Really no answer why. Encrypt my hardware? Is the OS that flawed and insecure?

None of my business. I got it loaded up without tpm. See how far that carries me lol.

Monopoly I think it's called.

Pushing TPM, a feature that's been around forever that no one ever gave 2 shits about...

Really no answer why. Encrypt my hardware? Is the OS that flawed and insecure?

None of my business. I got it loaded up without tpm. See how far that carries me lol.

my mobo even supports tpm 2.0. i turned it on in bios for it. am waiting for them to open the floodgates to all cpus. to install. i dont want to go down the forced installation. because it wont activate my account. i think.