Burning smell coming from exhaust fan but no individual component smells

Finlay OReilly

Burning smell coming from exhaust fan but no individual component smells, i have 3 intake and 1 exhaust fan and i have smelt each component individually and smell nothing but when you smell around the exhaust fan it smells of burning.

Is it a "burning smell" or just the usual "new electronics running" smell? In the past I have had power supplies that put off a strange smell for a few days before kinda fading out.

Edit: Is this a new PC or one that has been used for awhile?

4 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Is it a "burning smell" or just the usual "new electronics running" smell? In the past I have had power supplies that put off a strange smell for a few days before kinda fading out.

Edit: Is this a new PC or one that has been used for awhile?

It is exactly 1 year old and i don't really know what that smell is at it is the first time i have built a pc and used it for gaming 

Is the PC fairly clean inside?

I assume if you have had it for awhile, that everything is likely seated properly.

Also, where is the exhaust fan located? Top, back, front, bottom?

3 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Is the PC fairly clean inside?

I assume if you have had it for awhile, that everything is likely seated properly.

Also, where is the exhaust fan located? Top, back, front, bottom?

the back (in the sense that it is on the left if i have it side on)

2 minutes ago, Finlay OReilly said:

the back (in the sense that it is on the left if i have it side on)

Have you checked the thermals of any of your other components? CPU, GPU(assuming you have a GPU installed)?

Just to rule out a few of the potential suspects?

2 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Have you checked the thermals of any of your other components? CPU, GPU(assuming you have a GPU installed)?

Just to rule out a few of the potential suspects?

Yeah, my Rx580 is at 65-80c depending on the game it never goes 80c being a max that it will rarely but sometimes get to, Cpu (i3-10100) is always around 50-60c

37 minutes ago, Finlay OReilly said:

Burning smell coming from exhaust fan but no individual component smells, i have 3 intake and 1 exhaust fan and i have smelt each component individually and smell nothing but when you smell around the exhaust fan it smells of burning.

If u smell something check ur whole pc if u see something. Like really. The last time i smelled something my gtx 1070 went up in flames. Like literally. Then there was no smell but smoke coming out of my PC.

It doesnt hurt cleaning the PC once in a while since i am pretty sure it happened to my gpu bacause something burnable fell on a hot part of my gpu since i had no backplate.

RIP GTX 1070

20 hours ago, Jsos16 said:

Could your fan be the source of the smell?

possibly but its not got lights or anything just a plain fan so i find that unlickley?