Switch accessories recommendations?

varrys

I've decided to try to get an OLED and play Switch games for the first time. If it takes months then I'll give up and get a regular version. But what add-ons do you feel are most important? Not going to be traveling, mostly 1-2 hours of gaming at a stretch, likely 60% handheld and 40% TV.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

i got some stupid rubber joycon covers from walmart in a 25$ kit lol that and the case in that kit are the only accessories i dont regret buying 
dont care for the 3 different controllers i got or other knickknacks so far

CPU = Intel i9-9900ks , Mobo = ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 , Ram = HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3333MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP ,
GPU = GeForce GTX 2080 Ti , Case = Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower , Boot-Drive = Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ,
HDD = 2 x 2TB , 2 x 4TB , PSU = Rosewill Photon 1200w 80+ Gold modular , Monitor = MSI MAG271C , CPU Cooler Master ML360R

A carrying case is a must if you take it anywhere because the system is both big and feels a little fragile. Pro Controller is a must for playing docked. Only games I have enjoyed using the split joycons when docked were Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Galaxy for the motion controls. Otherwise Pro Controller is way better docked. Especially for 2D games thanks to having a D-pad.

47 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

A carrying case is a must if you take it anywhere because the system is both big and feels a little fragile. Pro Controller is a must for playing docked. Only games I have enjoyed using the split joycons when docked were Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Galaxy for the motion controls. Otherwise Pro Controller is way better docked. Especially for 2D games thanks to having a D-pad.

Good point about the Pro Controller. And at least that means it's a 2nd controller if my wife decides to play Smash or Kart with me.

5600x/RTX 4080

I'm reading about the mClassic adapter. I have a 1440p monitor (27" ROG Strix), but also can use my 4K TV at times. Reading conflicting reports about both the Switch on 1440p and also the mClassic's effectiveness. Has anyone used it?

5600x/RTX 4080

On 10/11/2021 at 8:26 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

i have a question.

When you say a pro controller do you mean the official licensed one costing a pretty penny or any controller would do? Because i know alot of controllers out there selling for 20 bucks but no knowing if they're actually worth getting.

2 hours ago, Neko Yumi said:

i have a question.

When you say a pro controller do you mean the official licensed one costing a pretty penny or any controller would do? Because i know alot of controllers out there selling for 20 bucks but no knowing if they're actually worth getting.

I was talking about the official pro controller. Yeah it's really expensive at $70, though I see it on sale a lot for $50 (which is what I bought it for from Walmart). My brother bought some PowerA wired controllers for $20 when Smash came out so a bunch of us could play on his system and they seemed pretty decent, but a lot of the recent reviews complain of stick drift.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wired-Controller-Nintendo-Switch-Black/dp/B07PDJ45BT

Yeah, I feel I'm going to stick with the Pro rather than a very cheap off brand. Unless there is a midrange option?

5600x/RTX 4080

Welp, I walked into my local GameStop, which online said they didn't have any Switches, OLED or normal. Showed up and was like " I know you don't have any Switch OLED, but..." The lady said she did have some in stock. I said "Yeah, I know you don't have any" and kept trying to ramble my question. Then she repeated she DID have it! So bought on spot! 

Got a case and screen protector combo, and opted for a non-Pro controller simply because wasn't expecting to drop all that cash today on system and games. Will see how it does over time.

5600x/RTX 4080

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on from hardware, are there any good sites for discovering/tracking Switch game discounts? Or just go through GameStop since I have an account there already?

5600x/RTX 4080

On 10/12/2021 at 2:05 AM, varrys said:

I've decided to try to get an OLED and play Switch games for the first time. If it takes months then I'll give up and get a regular version. But what add-ons do you feel are most important? Not going to be traveling, mostly 1-2 hours of gaming at a stretch, likely 60% handheld and 40% TV.

Get a Stand that can connect wired controllers if you have any. Other than that, make sure to get a screen protector

On 10/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, varrys said:

Moving on from hardware, are there any good sites for discovering/tracking Switch game discounts? Or just go through GameStop since I have an account there already?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/

Also I think Target is doing a Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal on games starting Sunday.

13 hours ago, MesZa said:

Get a Stand that can connect wired controllers if you have any. Other than that, make sure to get a screen protector

Got the OLED and so bought the Nintendo carrying case that comes with the OLED screen protector. Don't have wired controllers yet, but that's a good idea to get a stand that allows it. Thanks!

5600x/RTX 4080

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm a huge bank account or Visa Black CC. 😛

IMO 8BitDuos's  SN30+ is a must have because it's so much more comfortable to use, than the joycons.