Could I please have some better-informed eyes look over this build?

Teched Out

I've only kept a loose grip on PC hardware for the last few years. I would appreciate if anyone who has a better understanding, of current hardware, can let me know if this looks ok or if I've missed something. Thank you.

I need this for gaming and photo editing. Lots of Lightroom, a bit of Photoshop and image stacks with potentially dozens of photos.

There will probably be some additional fans, custom cables and other minor stuff.

Will 850W be enough for all of this with potential peaks?
I know the H170i isn't great value, that's not a concern.

It looks like the motherboard loses a couple of the SATA ports if all of the M.2 are populated but it seems I will have enough for drives I want.

Thank you.

I run 32 gigs of RAM and I occasionally open hundreds of photos in photoshop and it runs OK.

in my opinion 64 gigs is pretty overkill. The 850 should be good.

That is a lot of very fast storage and as for the hard-drives I personally prefer backing up to a separate device like a NAS. You seem to be going all out, so might as well. 

Otherwise this is a good build, though I believe that NVMe RAID on MOBOs is still a little sketchy sometimes. 

yeah none of the listed tasks uses 64gb of ram especially the 2d image editing which doesn;t require a 3d accelerator to do. games will use the gpu but again you wont be using 64gb of ram to game. Your backup drives also exceed the maximum capacity of the drive they're backing up. are you backing up the drives 3 or 4 times?

5 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I run 32 gigs of RAM and I occasionally open hundreds of photos in photoshop and it runs OK.

in my opinion 64 gigs is pretty overkill. The 850 should be good.

That is a lot of very fast storage and as for the hard-drives I personally prefer backing up to a separate device like a NAS. You seem to be going all out, so might as well. 

Otherwise this is a good build, though I believe that NVMe RAID on MOBOs is still a little sketchy sometimes. 

Many thanks.

If the NVMe RAID could be an issue, I could just run them without RAID. I was only going to RAID them for convenience of having one drive rather than two.

Everything will also be backed up to a NAS and I might use the HDDs for a bit more mass storage.

What usually puts me over 32GB is when I'm doing the big image stacks in Helicon. Helicon + Lightroom + a browser with a heap of tabs can put me well over 40GB of memory usage. If it wasn't for the stacking, I'd probably be fine with 32GB.

Just now, Teched Out said:

I was only going to RAID them for convenience of having one drive rather than two.

RAID 0 isn't convenient. You can run it as a JBOD array, it won't be as dumby fast or redundant, but definitely easier to set up

2 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

will also be backed up to a NAS and I might use the HDDs for a bit more mass storage.

Kudos.

2 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

Helicon + Lightroom + a browser with a heap of tabs can put me well over 40GB of memory usage

Dang, then your use case is valid. 

Nice Build

14 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Entirely unnecessary. 

Please expand? Are you saying the RAID is unnecessary or the capacity?

If RAID, I was going to do this for convenience, not speed.

If capacity, then it might be unnecessary for you but not for me.

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah none of the listed tasks uses 64gb

I often use more than 32GB or RAM. Your usage is not the same as mine.

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

Your backup drives also exceed the maximum capacity of the drive they're backing up. are you backing up the drives 3 or 4 times?

I have chosen 6TB drives which will run in RAID 1, giving me 6TB mirrored capacity. These will backup 5TB worth of SSDs.

I'm not sure what your objection is here. Should I be using 4TB drives to give me less capacity than the drives I want to backup or should I be looking for the very uncommon, if not non-existent, 5TB 3.5" drive?

30 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Vision OC 12GB

30 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

Seasonic Prime PX-850 Platinum 850W Power Supply

These two together stand out as a potential problem. The Seasonic Focus and Prime both have issues with high end GPUs, so you should probably get a better PSU. 850W is fine, just not the Prime. (Not to mention other issues with the PSU)

Looking at PCPP AU, the HX850 is in stock for $240 at PCCG. The A850GF is a cheaper option, although it will not be as quiet, and does not allow you to configure multi rail OCP.

:)

1 minute ago, Teched Out said:

Please expand? Are you saying the RAID is unnecessary or the capacity?

If RAID, I was going to do this for convenience, not speed.

If capacity, then it might be unnecessary for you but not for me.

Speed. NVMe drives are plenty fast enough and you're not likely to see any real world improvement by putting them in a RAID unless you run benchmarks for fun. Not to mention the added downside of doubling your potential for complete data loss if you lose a drive. The days of RAID0 being useful in desktop systems has really become unnecessary. 

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

These two together stand out as a potential problem. The Seasonic Focus and Prime both have issues with high end GPUs, so you should probably get a better PSU. 850W is fine, just not the Prime. (Not to mention other issues with the PSU)

Looking at PCPP AU, the HX850 is in stock for $240 at PCCG. The A850GF is a cheaper option, although it will not be as quiet, and does not allow you to configure multi rail OCP.

Thank you. 
I thought Seasonic had an excellent reputation and this would be one of the best. 

4 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

I often use more than 32GB or RAM. Your usage is not the same as mine.

that is true , I'm only a motion film compositor which is kinda like photoshop for big girls so I'm not well versed in how little ram is used when editing a single static image. If you can get a static image to use over 32gb then yes you should opt for more than 32.

9 minutes ago, Teched Out said:

I have chosen 6TB drives which will run in RAID 1, giving me 6TB mirrored capacity. These will backup 5TB worth of SSDs.

I'm not sure what your objection is here. Should I be using 4TB drives to give me less capacity than the drives I want to backup or should I be looking for the very uncommon, if not non-existent, 5TB 3.5" drive?

ah I understand now. so the two drives located in the same place will contain the same data. If you're sure thats how you want it configured then not much anyone can say.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

that is true , I'm only a motion film compositor which is kinda like photoshop for big girls so I'm not well versed in how little ram is used when editing a single static image. If you can get a static image to use over 32gb then yes you should opt for more than 32.

Before I started doing this kind of work, I would have also thought more than 32GB of RAM for image editing was a bit silly.

To be clear, this is pretty niche stuff. Most photographers would not need more than 32GB of RAM.

The 5900X is a better cpu choice for Lightroom and Photoshop. Several Puget Systems benchmarks have it performing slightly better. (In fact in some cases the 5800X does better as well.)

Consider getting better performing memory. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/K4pmP6/gskill-trident-z-royal-64-gb-4-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16q-64gtrsc

Consider replacing the two 2TB NVMe drives with a single 4TB unit. You might consider a PCIe 4.0 model.

If the 2 HDD RAID 1 array is to provide backup for 5TB of NVMe storage, I would suggest much larger drives. At a minimum just over twice the capacity being backed up. Otherwise eventually an existing backup will have to be removed before a new backup can be made, which is not failsafe. It is also good practice to keep multiple backup generations.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

The 5900X is a better cpu choice for Lightroom and Photoshop. Several Puget Systems benchmarks have it performing slightly better. (In fact in some cases the 5800X does better as well.)

Consider getting better performing memory. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/K4pmP6/gskill-trident-z-royal-64-gb-4-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16q-64gtrsc

Consider replacing the two 2TB NVMe drives with a single 4TB unit. You might consider a PCIe 4.0 model.

If the 2 HDD RAID 1 array is to provide backup for 5TB of NVMe storage, I would suggest much larger drives. At a minimum just over twice the capacity being backed up. Otherwise eventually an existing backup will have to be removed before a new backup can be made, which is not failsafe. It is also good practice to keep multiple backup generations.

Thank you. I found Puget's article.

I've made a few amendments.

CPU to 5900X.

970 EVOs to a 4TB Corsair MP600

PSU to HX850

Memory to (probably) G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN