3080 Deshroud Fan Choice

fishymamba

Hey guys! I am wanting to do a deshroud on my 3080 and I was wondering about what fan to use.

I already have a spare scythe kaze 120mm fan and my first option would be to get another one. The only problem is that the kaze has a max speed of only 1200 rpm and I'm not sure if that'll be enough to cool the 3080. On the plus side the fan is super quiet at it's max rpm and quietness is what I'm going for.

My other option is to get two Arctic P12s. I know noctuas are the gold standard, but I don't really want to spend $50 on fans. Especially since I have a kaze flex already.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

17 minutes ago, fishymamba said:

Hey guys! I am wanting to do a deshroud on my 3080 and I was wondering about what fan to use.

I already have a spare scythe kaze 120mm fan and my first option would be to get another one. The only problem is that the kaze has a max speed of only 1200 rpm and I'm not sure if that'll be enough to cool the 3080. On the plus side the fan is super quiet at it's max rpm and quietness is what I'm going for.

My other option is to get two Arctic P12s. I know noctuas are the gold standard, but I don't really want to spend $50 on fans. Especially since I have a kaze flex already.

Just buy another kaze flex

You could hook em up to the 24 pin mb connector or a boost converter but thats not something you wanna do unless you dont give a sht about asthetics and like diy ing sht like me cause its gonna be very messy

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just buy another kaze flex

You could hook em up to the 24 pin mb connector or a boost converter but thats not something you wanna do unless you dont give a sht about asthetics and like diy ing sht like me cause its gonna be very messy

I don't care about aesthetics (I think most people would cringe tearing apart a 3080 strix), but I want the GPU to control the fan speeds so I'm going to either get a GPU fan adapter or solder the fans directly to the PCB.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

39 minutes ago, fishymamba said:

I don't care about aesthetics (I think most people would cringe tearing apart a 3080 strix), but I want the GPU to control the fan speeds so I'm going to either get a GPU fan adapter or solder the fans directly to the PCB.

if you are ok with soldering then i reccomend buying a molex powered fan hub and soldering it to a boost converter so you can have the boost converter control the fan speeds via voltage, though you will need a multimeter to monitor the fan volts cause im pretty sure most fans die around 30v, safe volt for fan overvolt is prob around 17-20v for dailying most fans

15 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

if you are ok with soldering then i reccomend buying a molex powered fan hub and soldering it to a boost converter so you can have the boost converter control the fan speeds via voltage, though you will need a multimeter to monitor the fan volts cause im pretty sure most fans die around 30v, safe volt for fan overvolt is prob around 17-20v for dailying most fans

I do have a couple of boost converters, but I think I will see how well the fans work at 12v before going the boost converter route. IDK if I want a cheap boost converter inside my PC, I've had a couple catastrophically fail on me.

6 hours ago, fishymamba said:

I do have a couple of boost converters, but I think I will see how well the fans work at 12v before going the boost converter route. IDK if I want a cheap boost converter inside my PC, I've had a couple catastrophically fail on me.

Do you have the beefy ones with the heatsinks or the ultra cheap ones that look like they have basically no parts on em?

Im thinking of putting the beefy ones in my pc if i reuse a psu or just buy a 12v switching psu so i can control my other stuff like waterloop (not built) or fans (48v server fans)