New Aorus GTX 3080 Xtreme crashes display drivers, fans whirl to 100%

JacketyJack4

So ever since I installed my new 3080 today and PSU, I can play about 15 minutes in games before both my displays go black, fans kick into high gear, I can still hear the game and it responds to input.  Only thing I can do is hard reboot.

I checked all physical connections and they are secure, and the GPU isn't blinking for any power anomalies (a feature of it listed on its webpage).

Event viewer shows the following error:

The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash.  Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times.  Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Which lead me down a rabbit hole, finding out that my Hyper X Cloud II headset is apparently PARTLY causing this problem.

And I came across this reddit post with the same exact problem, followed the solution to a T but the problem still persists...

I even rolled the NVIDIA drivers back to 466.77 from the most current 472.12

Been working on this issue for a few hours and I just need some fresh ideas.

EDIT:

I even downclocked it about 150Mhz and it lasted a little longer but still eventually crashed.

I also tested out the OC vs Silent Bios switch it has, and the silent setting lasts a little longer than usual but still crashes.

Afterburner info:

(when playing dr:2)

80-90% GPU usage

~65 C

~1850 - 1905 core clock

365 - 370 Watts

System Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus ROG Strix x570 E-Gaming

32GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Gigabyte Aorus GTX 3080 Xtreme (newly installed)

Corsair RM 850W Gold (newly installed)

few sata ssd's and 1 m.2

Edited by JacketyJack4
more info and new title

• 1 month later...

Have you had any luck with this? I have the same problem with the same card and almost identical specs. I found this this reddit thread, which seems to suggest RMA is the only option.