Can I move data hard drive to new build without losing anything?

Sagpat30
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

The hdds should just fine, plug and play. You can move them to windows 11 just fine(and vista too if you want).

But make sure to have backups, just in case there are issues.

In short I'm upgrading my old 3770k build to a 5900x but I have 2 hard drives full of data zips and archives, can I move those hard drives to my new motherboard setup and access them just fine when I upgrade my system?

I'm not talking about the windows installation drive itself since Im going to do a fresh install but I mean the data files themselves on those other hard drives, i'm just concerned that i'll plug them in and find out they need to be reformatted or something and i dont have 8tb+ worth of external drives laying around to move my stuff to those to guarantee the files will be there. All the drives are in NTFS format and i dont believe there is any kind of encryption on them (although if anyone knows how to double check that'd be great)

Also is it possible for me to fresh install windows 11 and have those hard drives still work or will I need to go from windows 10 to 11 via an in OS upgrade?

The hdds should just fine, plug and play. You can move them to windows 11 just fine(and vista too if you want).

4 minutes ago, Sagpat30 said:

In short I'm upgrading my old 3770k build to a 5900x but I have 2 hard drives full of data zips and archives, can I move those hard drives to my new motherboard setup and access them just fine when I upgrade my system?

I don't see why not, as long as the data is not on the same OS drive you plan on reinstalling Windows on, as Windows will format this drive before installation. 

4 minutes ago, Sagpat30 said:

Also is it possible for me to fresh install windows 11 and have those hard drives still work or will I need to go from windows 10 to 11 via an in OS upgrade?

Yes.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks for the help guys

2 minutes ago, Sagpat30 said:

Thanks for the help guys

Anytime!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

In a new build I would suggest you not install the data drives until after windows is installed on the boot drive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.