why do my windows 10 installs keep on corrupting themselves?

giuspepy

i have this issue wich is going on every 2/3 months. it has kept going for 3/4 years. the issue is every computer i use if i install windows 10. after 2 or 3 moths it grandually corrupts in a unusable state.
i tried letting windows update as its recomanded but never got anywhere. ignoring updates seemed to make the life of my installs slightly more long. this issue happens on every machine i use? i cycled 3 machines and after 3/2 months of use they all corrupt the installs and im forced to fresh install windows 10 everytime. if at least it was computer specific i could fix the problem but it happens on every single machine i use? what?  i tried using linux multiple times and i was able to get stable enviroments where things just worked. but of course i was not able to run some programs/games. and also i needed some windows specific things. lutris proton and wine are all cool yes. but if i could just have complete compability i would have made the switch years ago. so the question i raised is it my fault? dosent this happen to anyone else? i usually install 3D cad programs and also programming stuff. python nodejs ecc. plus games.  i am not using hdds for my computers. i use only ssds because using an hhd with windows is quite a problem since it becomes really slow and unusable.  i have also another issue where everytime i try to repair windows 10 via its built in tools like safe-mode and sfc scannow. nothing works it always says its unfixable. if any more information is needed please ask. if you would be able to help me get rid of this curse i would be forever in debt... thank you for reading.. PLS HELP

How old is your SSD, and how big is it? It sounds far fetched, but maybe your SSD has reached its lifespan and is now showing signs like this as a result of its damaged cells? This would be even more likely if it is a very low capacity SSD and if you install or delete things extremely frequently, but I have had my SSDs for as long as 5 years and they are all fine. Maybe to prove this, you could research a command or tool that checks the integrity of system files and tells you if they are corrupted. If it is the same file, even on different updates of Win10, maybe it is not your SSD, but a poorly written program. You could try using your computer without these programs or running them in a VM and see where that gets you.

my guess is it is a program you are using that is causing the issues. try to narrow it down to programs that you are sure have been used on all 3 computers, from there maybe try researching each one to see if anyone has had similar issues with that particular program. i don't see any easy way to figure it out though.

12 minutes ago, giuspepy said:

dosent this happen to anyone else?

No, not really. I've had the same Windows install on my pc for nearly 2 years, and the Windows install on my laptop for a similar time as well with no issues so far.

What hardware are you running this on and what conditions are your drives in? It could be that the SSD you have your OS installed on is corrupting itself. You should run crystal disk info to see.

It could also be some software you're using or OS modification that you're making causing this issue.

Also where do you install Windows 10 from?

1 minute ago, NPDPdev said:

How old is your SSD, and how big is it? It sounds far fetched, but maybe your SSD has reached its lifespan and is now showing signs like this as a result of its damaged cells? This would be even more likely if it is a very low capacity SSD and if you install or delete things extremely frequently, but I have had my SSDs for as long as 5 years and they are all fine. Maybe to prove this, you could research a command or tool that checks the integrity of system files and tells you if they are corrupted. If it is the same file, even on different updates of Win10, maybe it is not your SSD, but a poorly written program. You could try using your computer without these programs or running them in a VM and see where that gets you.

i always happens after 2 or 3 months. i have no idea what program it could be because i tried in on different machines in the span of 4 years. i doubt its the ssds since i never reused them for my machines i almost always bought prebuilts. wich should be fine right? i dident have these problems with linux. but i was always forced to come back to windows for compability issues if i could use a vm on a linux system to run windows 10 games etc i would even be fine with that

but i was never able to do a gpu passthru with my rtx 2060.

If the machine does any form of important work you could skip updating of any form altogether to keep the machines consistancy constant. At the very least there will then be no down time as far as work is concerned.

As for things that require internet connectivity you could outsource that to a less important machine 

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

No, not really. I've had the same Windows install on my pc for nearly 2 years, and the Windows install on my laptop for a similar time as well with no issues so far.

What hardware are you running this on and what conditions are your drives in? It could be that the SSD you have your OS installed on is corrupting itself. You should run crystal disk info to see.

It could also be some software you're using or OS modification that you're making causing this issue.

im running my current install on a fairly standard machine.. my cpu is  an i5-10400F and my gpu an rtx 2060. the problem is this happened to me with all the machines i ever had an all amd one an i5-6400 one and now this.. so i guess its probably windows or software problem. for burning my isos on my usb i always used a linux machine with proper tools or another windows 10 machine wich i have at home (my bother's pc or my father's ones) wich dont have these problems... like my installs. my father has a windows 10 install wich as kept going for 3 years its incredibly slow with a really good disk integrity and it dosent have anything installed so the disk's free. but it has fair hardware. 

i used from linux to windows to burn isos but had always the same problem on every machine. i switched usb drives and pen drives different times to see if that was the problem never got anywhere. it wasent the usb drives wich where bad. i tried like 10 or something. always after 3 months got the same problem. the machine corrupted and dident get anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

If the machine does any form of important work you could skip updating of any form altogether to keep the machines consistancy constant. At the very least there will then be no down time as far as work is concerned.

As for things that require internet connectivity you could outsource that to a less important machine 

it almost never renders with blender. and its almost always running in idle.  so no its not doing important work.

1 minute ago, giuspepy said:

it almost never renders with blender. and its almost always running in idle.  so no its not doing important work.

my guess is that its a software thing. it has to be. i tried 3 machines in 4 years what else can it be? always with different hardware

This is a software problem, you're obviously running a program or you keep downloading something that's screwing things up. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

12 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

heres the crystal disk info output

immagine_2021-10-05_230108.png

1 minute ago, Action_Johnson said:

This is a software problem, you're obviously running a program or you keep downloading something that's screwing things up. 

i usually never download weird stuff. i use only decent software. usually cura game services like steam battle.net and epic games. i use standard things. i never modified my installs like editing the registry or such. i install a lot of stuff doe. almost never on the C drive always on external ones. 

4 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

if at least i had a way to track what program is causing this...