4 USB ports on case, only 1 header

If I only have one USB3 header on my motherboard, can I use a Y-splitter cable to get all 4 USB ports on my case working?

This is what I'm looking at as a possible solution:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098DZH6LH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm asking here because there are user reviews saying it doesn't work, but based on my knowledge of USB, it shouldn't matter if you split it like this. That's exactly how USB2 headers work on the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, Sawtaytoes said:

That's exactly how USB2 headers work on the motherboard.

No, you can get 2 USB ports from a USB 2.0 header because there are pins for 2 USB ports - USB 2.0 requires 4 pins, a USB 2.0 header has 9 pins. One pin is used for keying and not connected, 8/2 = 4.

The USB 3.0 splitters do not work, do not buy them. If you want to use all your USB ports you can get an adapter to make 2 of your USB 3.0 ports run in 2.0 mode by only connecting the 2.0 pins.

elephants

The headers have 2 USB ports. Splitters like this split port #1 to header #1 and port #2 to header #2.

You can't get 4 ports out of a 2 port header.

• 1 month later...

I canceled that order on the splitter. Also am returning the Sabrent one. It killed a motherboard and my C: drive SSD :(. Almost killed it again until I realized what was going on.

As soon as I plugged in the SATA power cable, my RGB lights would turn on. No big deal. Figured that was normal.

But then I noticed the aio fan and pump was running and so a fan on one of my GPUs.

I used this device in 3 systems and had numerous issues because of it. I had no clue this whole time! If you come to this thread later on looking for the same answers as me, don't use that unit!

---

I'm still in the market for some solution to having 2 USB3 cables and only 1 USB3 header.