Hi I recently upgraded my CPU (Ryzen 5800x) & Motherboard (tuf gaming x570-plus (wi-fi)) this month and i'm having alot of overheating!

Hi Gamers I'm Jawarny,

I recently got myself a new cpu -  from : Intel core i7 5820k Upgrading To : Rysen 7 5800x CPU

I recently got myself a new motherboard (of course) -  from : gigabyte GA-X99 gaming 5p Socket : Intel Socket 2011-3  Upgrading To : Asus tuf gaming x570-plus (wi-fi)

When I started my pc after the installation with the new motherboard and cpu with my CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB 240mm radiator with dual 120mm fan the temperatures wasn't going lower then 55 °C, and stays around 55 °C and 65 °C with cpu usage at 5 to 15% .
When I boot minecraft for example my temps can reach up to 85-90°C with 100% cpu usage just to boot the game, then goes back down and stays around 70 °C and 80 °C constant while playing while the CPU usage is 25%.

The same thing happend with counter-strike Global Offensive reaching up to 85-90°C with 100% cpu usage when loading the game then constant 70 °C and 80 °C on 20% cpu usage.

Now after this I thought my cooler was very bad for this *new powerful cpu* worried I got myself a new cooler I didn't know witch one to get in between these 3 choices :
choice #1 Corsair iCUE H150i Elite 360mm radiator tripple 120mm fans. CDN$ 252.93 looks nice.
choice #2 be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. CDN$ 157.62 looks okay.

choice #3 Noctua NH-D15. CDN$ 115.45 looks awful.

I bought the - 
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite 360mm radiator tripple 120mm fans cooler - but there is no difference the cpu usage is at 5% and I'm at 60 °C!!!

The reason for my upgrade is to be able to run games very smoothly while streaming. The other reason is to be able to edit videos without having alot or freezing troubles. The additionnal reasons is to be able to multi task and be able to have a minecraft server running on the same pc.

I used to do that with the old ( Intel core i7 5820k ) the cpu usage was getting high  80 - 90 % but never reached 70 °C. 

I'm upset that at 5% to 15% of cpu usage my fans are running super speed and loud...
And having to use AC to cool the room temperature...

I did more research youtube videos and forums they say it's normal to run hot and reach 90 °C

I just want it to be around 20 to 40°C. And while gaming like my other cpu not go over 75 °C with regular fan speed. I know there is a way by changing some things on the BIOS but im unsure what do change to what value like boost clock, voltage, TDP, watts... 

Can someone please help me, educate me, guide me to do it on my motherboard ? 

Thank you in advance!
- Jawarny

The 5800x is rated to be run safely up to 90c and will only start throttling at 90c and above.

It's a fairly hot chip by design due to it's small die surface area. Most users get 30-40c idle and up to 80c while gaming, that's normal for the 5800x.

As for Minecraft, it is normal that CPU usage spikes up while Minecraft is loading.

If you're worried about your idle cpu usage, check what's utilizing the cpu while your PC is idle. 

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

2 hours ago, NutronSe7en said:

What case are you using?

Case be quiet silent base 801 atx mid tower case!

Now just to clarify most of the testing and the temps iv given were made with an open case right after installation!

My room temperature is in between 22-24 degrees and even with the pc overheating it is still at that temperature because of the AC!

In the picture i am showing the air flow and the fans installed on the AIO there is 6 total!
I'm repeating it again the case was open when I had those temps 😄  😞

fan flow.jpg

244135295_1271360066660986_4558121508185754662_n (1).jpg

30 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

The 5800x is rated to be run safely up to 90c and will only start throttling at 90c and above.

It's a fairly hot chip by design due to it's small die surface area. Most users get 30-40c idle and up to 80c while gaming, that's normal for the 5800x.

As for Minecraft, it is normal that CPU usage spikes up while Minecraft is loading.

If you're worried about your idle cpu usage, check what's utilizing the cpu while your PC is idle. 

This is right! temps are at 55°C idle, and the fans are kinda loud in comparaison of the intel that I have. I now know it's normal that it runs hot but there is no way of making it quieter and cooler ?

I just want it to be around 20 to 40°C. And while gaming like my other cpu not go over 75 °C with regular fan speed. I know there is a way by changing some things on the BIOS but im unsure what do change to what value like boost clock, voltage, TDP, watts... 

If you have the same motherboard or cpu or both, can someone please help me, educate me, guide me to do it on my motherboard ? 

image.thumb.png.73cb34e5af8a9e691fb0364a683a8c6a.png

1 minute ago, Jawarny said:

If you have the same motherboard or cpu or both, can someone please help me, educate me, guide me to do it on my motherboard ? 

I don't have the 5800x (yet). However, I've been doing a lot of reading and research looking for a proper cooler for myself, so I found that load temps up to 80c and idle temps between 30-40c are normal.

Since you're idling at 50c, it's definitely hotter than it should be.

Since you're running a AIO cooler, airflow within the case should not matter, but did you mount the AIO correctly? Properly mounted to the case (where it is supposed to go, with enough ventilation) and the pump is also properly mounted to the CPU?

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

22 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

I don't have the 5800x (yet). However, I've been doing a lot of reading and research looking for a proper cooler for myself, so I found that load temps up to 80c and idle temps between 30-40c are normal.

Since you're running a AIO cooler, airflow within the case should not matter, but did you mount the AIO correctly? Properly mounted to the case (where it is supposed to go, with enough ventilation) and the pump is also properly mounted to the CPU?

yes i did i was worried the first time about the mounting and redid it with the first cooler and now with the new cooler 2 different thermal paste and the temps are the same 😞

if you check my other answer i also explained that the temps were the same with an open case with a room ttemperature of 22-24

fan flow.jpg

1 hour ago, FliP0x said:

then before getting it you should watch these 4 videos okay  :

If you want to undervolt, go into the AMD overclocking settings, turn on PBO, set limits to disabled, and then go into curve optimizer. Set a negative all-core of -20 to start with. See if that helps.

If it does help, to test stability, get a program called OCCT and run a large, extreme, variable, AVX2 test on each core (logical and physical) one at a time for 15 minutes. This should determine if a core has an issue with the undervolt. From there, you can do a per-core offset. On cores that succeeded, you can go to -25 and on ones that had errors, go down to -15. Rinse and repeat until you have optimizal settings.

9 hours ago, Jawarny said:

then before getting it you should watch these 4 videos okay  :

I watched them already. With 5800x you heavily depend on the silicon lottery.

7 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If you want to undervolt, go into the AMD overclocking settings, turn on PBO, set limits to disabled, and then go into curve optimizer. Set a negative all-core of -20 to start with. See if that helps.

If it does help, to test stability, get a program called OCCT and run a large, extreme, variable, AVX2 test on each core (logical and physical) one at a time for 15 minutes. This should determine if a core has an issue with the undervolt. From there, you can do a per-core offset. On cores that succeeded, you can go to -25 and on ones that had errors, go down to -15. Rinse and repeat until you have optimizal settings.

I keep seeing this a lot. The goal of undervolting is to keep the same performance, but at lower voltage and temps?

Otherwise people could rather get a 5600x if they are downclocking their 5800x

10 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

I keep seeing this a lot. The goal of undervolting is to keep the same performance, but at lower voltage and temps?

Otherwise people could rather get a 5600x if they are downclocking their 5800x

Yes, in fact, undervolting that way with Ryzen actually ends up resulting in slightly better performance due to how Ryzen's boosting behavior works.

Because power consumption and temperature are the limiting factors on maintaining the full boost level, you actually can gain some performance via undervolting with the curve optimizer, because you now have more power and thermal headroom for the CPU to boost with.

32 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yes, in fact, undervolting that way with Ryzen actually ends up resulting in slightly better performance due to how Ryzen's boosting behavior works.

Because power consumption and temperature are the limiting factors on maintaining the full boost level, you actually can gain some performance via undervolting with the curve optimizer, because you now have more power and thermal headroom for the CPU to boost with.

I see, so even in case you got a "bad" chip, as some people got with high temps on default, you could still squeeze out the performance you should be getting at acceptable temps by manually tweaking the voltage and curve.

4 hours ago, FliP0x said:

I see, so even in case you got a "bad" chip, as some people got with high temps on default, you could still squeeze out the performance you should be getting at acceptable temps by manually tweaking the voltage and curve.

I'm not sure that the issue is just "bad" chips. That might be the case, but I think some people find problems for a myriad of reasons. I've seen too many threads where people are using PBO with unlimited power limits, using a weak cooler, misunderstanding Ryzen boost behavior, etc., and merely concluding that the chip gets too hot intrinsically.

But using an optimized voltage curve will help in most cases by reducing power consumption and thus reducing heat output.

Technically, if you got a truly bad chip that can barely perform at the stock voltages, then you won't be able to get a stable result with the reduced voltages. However, that's highly unlikely. I have heard of people who have 5000 series chips were an individual core can't have a negative offset, but to get a whole chip that can't work on most cores shouldn't happen.

I was able to reduce temps and increase performance on my 5900X for about three hours of work to get an optimal curve. That's not nothing, but I think it's worth the effort to try.

8 hours ago, FliP0x said:

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm not sure that the issue is just "bad" chips. That might be the case, but I think some people find problems for a myriad of reasons. I've seen too many threads where people are using PBO with unlimited power limits, using a weak cooler, misunderstanding Ryzen boost behavior, etc., and merely concluding that the chip gets too hot intrinsically.

But using an optimized voltage curve will help in most cases by reducing power consumption and thus reducing heat output.

Technically, if you got a truly bad chip that can barely perform at the stock voltages, then you won't be able to get a stable result with the reduced voltages. However, that's highly unlikely. I have heard of people who have 5000 series chips were an individual core can't have a negative offset, but to get a whole chip that can't work on most cores shouldn't happen.

I was able to reduce temps and increase performance on my 5900X for about three hours of work to get an optimal curve. That's not nothing, but I think it's worth the effort to try.

Hi guys, thank you alot for this conversation.

I'm now waiting for a replacement for my 5800x cpu again I thought I had a problem with the cpu I had thinking I got one of the "bad" chips.

At least now I know it's common, I will try the new one as soon as I get it and replace it.

If it's the same thing I will try undervolting and trying to find a safe way of doing it because im not confident of trying and error with these kinda things (overclocking and underclocking)

First option : try new cpu

Second option : try underclocking it or whathever will fix overheating and fan noises without loosing to much performance

third option : get an extra 250$ and get the 5900x (would you guys suggest the 5900x ?)