Top mounted dual 240mm radiatior in NZXT S340 case

FliP0x

Budget (including currency): up to 100 € (for cooler)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Multitasking

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I already have a NZXT S340 (White/Purple) case which I intent to keep. Worst case I will have to swap it.

I intend to buy a R7 5800X soon and I want it to have enough cooling headroom to boost without throttling.

After some research, my first choice cooler would have been the Dark Rock Pro 4, but it doesn't fit into a S340 case. Therefore I've been forced to look into AIO Coolers (looking for about 250W cooling performance).

I found some NZXT AIOs that would fit my budget and should also fit no problem into my S340 case.

However, the question is the following:

If anyone has a S340 with a dual 240mm Radiator combo, would it be possible to mount it to the top, rather than to the front panel? The top only has 1 vent though, and the front panel is covered.

Unless there is an equally performing air cooler that would fit into my case.

As per Guru3D, the 5800X draws about 220W under multithreaded load, so I'd like to be able to cool that much or even a bit more than that (hence why my choice was the 250W Dark Rock Pro 4).

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

Out of the AIOs one of the best value options would be the Arctic Liquid Freezer line or the EKWB line.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

mounting a 240mm to the top would be a collossal waste, since only 120mm of the radiator can actually be used.

i would go for air cooling in this case personally, just not enough room for an AIO te breathe.

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

mounting a 240mm to the top would be a collossal waste, since only 120mm of the radiator can actually be used.

i would go for air cooling in this case personally, just not enough room for an AIO te breathe.

True. I did some more research meanwhile and stumbled upon some "lesser known" coolers such as the FUMA 2, which would fit in my case.

Noctua D15 would also fit. 

I'll just have to find some comparison specifically for the 5800x to see how they perform, as I'd like my load temps to remain 75c or lower, if possible. The 5800x is a hot CPU, but I'm starting to sweat (no pun intended) when I see temps above 75c.

EDIT:

Upon further research, Noctua D15 (dual fan) would be the best possible cooling solution I can fit (that isn't AIO).

Based on manufacturer measures it shouldn't. Noctua claims the height with fan is 165mm, the S340 supports 161mm, but based on this build (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJkFbhyqA8) it fits just find. I wouldn't mind sanding a few millimeters off the top of the fans to make it fit.

Noctua DH15 (in Dual Fan mode) should also fit just well enough with the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk board I want to use.

EDIT2:
Dh15S is officially supported, DH15 apparently fits. Dark Rock 4 (non Pro) is also supported and should as well be a good option.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

I have a NZXT S340, with a Dark Rock Pro 4 installed, it fits fine, doesn't even touchthe side panel. NZXT's quoted max cooler height is a bit conservative and the case does actually fit slightly larger coolers. As for a 240mm AIO, I used to have a 280mm AIO in this case and performance was fine installed on the front. So either the DRP4 or a AIO installed on the front is a reasonable option.

I wouldn't install a large AIO on the top unless you're also going to cut a hole in the top of the case.

Just now, Quixit said:

I have a NZXT S340, with a Dark Rock Pro 4 installed, it fits fine, doesn't even touchthe side panel. NZXT's quoted max cooler height is a bit conservative and the case does actually fit slightly larger coolers. As for a 240mm AIO, I used to have a 280mm AIO in this case and performance was fine installed on the front. So either the DRP4 or a AIO installed on the front is a reasonable option.

I wouldn't install a large AIO on the top unless you're also going to cut a hole in the top of the case.

Thanks for your reply.

I have actually so far settled to get a 280 AIO in the front in a push/pull config, but considering the DR4P actually fits is complicating things again.