Monitor Characteristics

vietly23
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Get an IPS panel, at least 1920x1080.  Size is your preference, most people like around 23-24".  It's also worth noting whether the monitor is glossy or matte (anti-glare).  Glossy usually has a bit more vibrant image but glare can cause issues depending on where you're set up.  Some monitors don't list this spec directly, but if they don't then you can usually do a Google image search of the monitor model and look at the pictures to tell whether it has an anti-glare coating or not.

Refresh rate is 60Hz on standard monitors, but some "gaming" monitors use 120Hz panels which gets you a smoother image IF you have a graphics card good enough to get very high framerates.  The current IPS panels on the market are also not capable of 120Hz, so if you went that route you would have to settle for a TN panel which gets you narrow viewing angles and more washed out colors.

Response time is basically a made-up number and can be ignored.  Many people will tell you you need x milliseconds or below for a good experience, but this is a myth.  As @helping said, it's a completely meaningless spec.

Dynamic contrast ratio is also a made-up number and can be ignored too.

What kind of characteristics should one look for when purchasing a monitor?

What kind of characteristics should one look for when purchasing a monitor?

1) Resolution: 1080p or better

2) Response Time: 1-5ms for best performance, especially gaming. This spec might also be listed as G2G (Gray-to-Gray)

3) Refresh Rate: 60Hz works, 120Hz+ is better.

4) Decide if you want a TN Panel or an IPS Panel. TN's are usually cheaper. Both are good, but have their pros/cons.

5) Color Depth if you are doing anything that needs this, such as Photography or Rendering/Reproduction.

There are other specs you can look for, but this is as plain and simple as I could make it, with some of the more important ones to watch out for depending on your usage needs.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

IPS panel, a decent size, decent stand, resolution, refresh rate... I might be missing something, but that's a good starting point.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

An IPS monitor in the size and resolution you like. E.g. 1080p for gaming, 1440p could be better for photo/video work.

That's really all you need. In my opinion, response time doesn't matter. I've seen monitors from like 1Hz to 7Hz and above, and it's all the same to me. (again, that's just me)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

2) Response Time: 1-5ms for best performance, especially gaming. This spec might also be listed as G2G (Gray-to-Gray)

3) Refresh Rate: 120Hz

OR

4) Decide if you want  an IPS Panel.

refresh rate

uh

Error: 410

Elaborate please, @helping?

Just buy a pls panel and know you have the best

First, its In Plane Switching (IPS)

Second, IPS panels don't have as good Black Levels or Viewing Angles. As such, if those two are important specifications to someone, and a lot of times they are if they don't always sit at the desk, in example.

Don't get me wrong, IPS panels are great. But not without their drawbacks - as everything else in life.  :rolleyes:

Second, IPS panels don't have as good Black Levels or Viewing Angles. As such, if those two are important specifications for someone, and a lot of times they are if they don't always sit at the desk, in example.

Don't get me wrong, IPS panels are great. But not without their drawbacks - as everything else in life.  :rolleyes:

Response times are not standardized for how they're measured. It's a completely meaningless statistic.

If there are a large number of ghosting complaints then you ignore it, otherwise no issue is assumed. 

and you're saying a TN has better viewing angles and blacks than an IPS?

Error: 410

Get an IPS panel, at least 1920x1080.  Size is your preference, most people like around 23-24".  It's also worth noting whether the monitor is glossy or matte (anti-glare).  Glossy usually has a bit more vibrant image but glare can cause issues depending on where you're set up.  Some monitors don't list this spec directly, but if they don't then you can usually do a Google image search of the monitor model and look at the pictures to tell whether it has an anti-glare coating or not.

Refresh rate is 60Hz on standard monitors, but some "gaming" monitors use 120Hz panels which gets you a smoother image IF you have a graphics card good enough to get very high framerates.  The current IPS panels on the market are also not capable of 120Hz, so if you went that route you would have to settle for a TN panel which gets you narrow viewing angles and more washed out colors.

Response time is basically a made-up number and can be ignored.  Many people will tell you you need x milliseconds or below for a good experience, but this is a myth.  As @helping said, it's a completely meaningless spec.

Dynamic contrast ratio is also a made-up number and can be ignored too.

Second, IPS panels don't have as good Black Levels or Viewing Angles. As such, if those two are important specifications to someone, and a lot of times they are if they don't always sit at the desk, in example.

PLS is a variant of IPS, so it was not a mistake :)

Don't get me wrong, IPS panels are great. But not without their drawbacks - as everything else in life. :rolleyes:

First its pls "plane to line switching" I wasn't talking about IPS and IPS is shit compared to pls...IPS is to pls what tn is to IPS...you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have no place giving monitor advice if you don't even know what pls is good sir

Response times are not standardized for how they're measured. It's a completely meaningless statistic.

If there are a large number of ghosting complaints then you ignore it, otherwise no issue is assumed. 

and you're saying a TN has better viewing angles and blacks than an IPS?

Well, true.. I guess you've got a point there as far as response times. Kind of like Contrast Ratio for TVs. I get it, I get it.. There are 39270 different ways to measure this, therefore, deems them meaningless most of the time. But, not every time! A lot of manufacturers give data to back it up. Or, they used to. For response time, that is. Not Contrast Ratio, haha.

And no, I'm not saying a TN has better viewing angles and blacks than IPS. I'm simply stating characteristics that COULD affect an IPS and/or a TN panel. Just a baseline. Again, this is not fact.. A lot of things to do with monitors are pure opinions. Just like you mentioned with ghosting complaints.

But in theory, that is usually the drawbacks with IPS panels. Usually.

cnapier39428, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

First its pls "plane to line switching" I wasn't talking about IPS and IPS is shit compared to pls...IPS is to pls what tn is to IPS...you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have no place giving monitor advice if you don't even know what pls is good sir

Calm down mate! I know what PLS panels are. I just assumed (for some reason, quick reading I guess) that you meant IPS, since we've been talking only about IPS and TN up until your post.

Apologize for the assumption cnapier39428. And you did mention some valid points as I re-read your post.

PLS is very similar to IPS.

Well firstly you should decide on the kind of panel you want 

Things I look for;

Panel type- ips/PLS, tn, va 

Refresh rate- 60Hz, 120Hz?

Brand- dell, Asus, BenQ 

Length of Panel warranty/DEAD pixel repalcement

Colour accuracy out the box

Does it have an adjustable stand and VESA mounts? 

Most important does it have good reviews? 

Does the monitor use PWN back lighting- can be irritating for people with sensitive eyes. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

@vietly23

Get a nice IPS panel. That's about it. 

4) Decide if you want a TN Panel or an IPS Panel. TN's are usually cheaper. Both are good, but have their pros/cons.

...Did you just say TN is good?

It doesn't really get better than IPS for viewing angles.

As for blacks, this is only if you're comparing them to VA panels. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@vietly23

Get a nice IPS panel. That's about it. 

...Did you just say TN is good?

It doesn't really get better than IPS for viewing angles.

As for blacks, this is only if you're comparing them to VA panels. 

Yes... TN's can be a proper choice for someone.. As I stated in the example, because they are usually much cheaper. So, if somebody is looking for a monitor with a very tight budget.. TN can be a good choice. And as I said, it has its cons/drawbacks; as does everything.

Now, to clarify.. Would I choose TN over IPS? No, absolutely not. But this thread wasn't made for MrYuriy's opinion. Thread starter wanted to know some characteristics to look out for in a monitor, so I gave him some of them, and also an example of two types of panels. If he was on a budget, I mentioned TN. If he wanted a good one, usually slightly pricier, I mentioned IPS. There are other types.. I was just throwing out examples as quickly as I could to help him/her out.