Mech keyboard looks like its missing a PCB trace?

BojastheGreat

Howdy LTT, 

I've recently been overhauling an old Razer BlackWidow keyboard as a side project. i got it all soldered up, but now it looks like its missing a PCB trace. im happy to grab whatever i can to repair this, but i dont know how or where to get started. id love any tips, thanks gang!

PCB Trace.jpg

It looks like you tore both the pads and one of the traces for that LED clean off the board when desoldering it. If you don't care about a capslock LED then you can just ignore it. If you want the capslock led, you're gonna have to use some wire to replace the trace.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It looks like you tore both the pads and one of the traces for that LED clean off the board when desoldering it. If you don't care about a capslock LED then you can just ignore it. If you want the capslock led, you're gonna have to use some wire to replace the trace.

gotcha, no i dont really care about the LEDS, but im losing all input past the shift key, so i need to wire around it somewhere i believe. any ideas where i can go on looking?

8 minutes ago, BojastheGreat said:

gotcha, no i dont really care about the LEDS, but im losing all input past the shift key, so i need to wire around it somewhere i believe. any ideas where i can go on looking?

Past which shift key, and in which direction? Is all but the far left column dead?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Past which shift key, and in which direction? Is all but the far left column dead?

looks like this on a keyboard test

image.thumb.png.1d722100634f45d2b9b33b02aca52a05.png

13 minutes ago, BojastheGreat said:

looks like this on a keyboard test

image.thumb.png.1d722100634f45d2b9b33b02aca52a05.png

Sorry but this means nothing. Are filled keys working? Does the board have a numpad?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Sorry but this means nothing. Are filled keys working? Does the board have a numpad?

all filled keys except for the left caps lock, tab ~ and escape keys are currently functioning and the board doesnt have a numpad

2 hours ago, BojastheGreat said:

all filled keys except for the left caps lock, tab ~ and escape keys are currently functioning and the board doesnt have a numpad

Well you're gonna have to figure out where that trace went and replace it with some wire. Can't really help you more specifically as I don't have schematics or anything.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Problem solved! Their needed to be something bridging the 2 connections, I added some copper tape and a little led and it works like a charm. Thanks!