Noctua NH L9i heatsink fan grinding/buzzing noise

Prodigy22

Hey guys,

Today my CPU heatsink started making loud weird noises. I cleaned all the dust out of the fan and aired out the whole case but that didn't work. I have a fan controller and it's definitely the heatsink fan when I shut it off the noise goes away. Not sure what the problem could be thanks! Also it is not any cables it wires touching the fan.

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

Sounds like the bearings in the fan have gone. If so the only thing you can do is buy a new one :(. I had this happen to an old RAM cooler it sounded horrible but went away after it warmed up.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I have had this for about 1 year and a half so I'm pretty sure that the warrant is still in effect. How easy is it to switch out this and place the stock heatsink?

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

I have had this for about 1 year and a half so I'm pretty sure that the warrant is still in effect. How easy is it to switch out this and place the stock heatsink?

Pretty easy if you have some coffee filters and some rubbing alcohol.

Quote me to get a reply!

Pretty easy if you have some coffee filters and some rubbing alcohol.

What would I need those for? Lol

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

What would I need those for? Lol

What you will have to do is take the cooler off, clean the leftover thermal paste on the CPU, put a pea sized amount of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU(Only if the stock cooler doesn't have any on it), and then mount the stock cooler. Also if the stock cooler has used thermal paste on the bottom clean it with the rubbing alcohol as well.

Quote me to get a reply!

What you will have to do is take the cooler off, clean the leftover thermal paste on the CPU, put a pea sized amount of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU(Only if the stock cooler doesn't have any on it), and then mount the stock cooler. Also if the stock cooler has used thermal paste on the bottom clean it with the rubbing alcohol as well.

Awesome thanks so much! Is there any damage to my computer if I leave the current heat sink in? It just started today and it's not an unbearable crazy noise just enough for you to notice something is different than usual. Basically could it be something else then the bearings?

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

Awesome thanks so much! Is there any damage to my computer if I leave the current heat sink in? It just started today and it's not an unbearable crazy noise just enough for you to notice something is different than usual. Basically could it be something else then the bearings?

The fan will start to degrade more.Otherwise, no extra damage can happen unless the fan isn't pushing enough air. So I would recommend contacting Noctua and ask whether it would be covered under warranty.

Quote me to get a reply!