Windows 10 on Laptop.

Go to solution Solved by Latvian Video,
24 minutes ago, RandomChild said:

Hey so I’m thinking of buying a laptop for some small basic use but it uses windows 10 S mode and I would like to know if the laptop can run windows 10 well? And if not any tips if I do put I in normal windows to improve it speed. Thanks for any help.

Laptop Name: Acer Swift 1 Notebook 14" Celeron/4/64 GB.

Website: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/acer-swift-1-notebook-14-celeron-4-64-gb-acsf114736#specifications

Note: (im thinking of disabling S mode so I can download chrome and other apps)

Basic use would be fine, but I would recommend more storage and ram

Hey so I’m thinking of buying a laptop for some small basic use but it uses windows 10 S mode and I would like to know if the laptop can run windows 10 well? And if not any tips if I do put I in normal windows to improve it speed. Thanks for any help.

Website: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/acer-swift-1-notebook-14-celeron-4-64-gb-acsf114736#specifications

another note: it’s just for my 7 year old cousin he doesn’t care to much.

I'm Just some kid who likes Computer's and Programming.

Don't buy that laptop it's REALLY BAD. Like struggles at even the most basic tasks bad. Like legit even cheap phones nowadays are faster than this thing. There is a reason it's so cheap because it's absolutely terrible.

Examples as how bad:

Yt 720p if lucky

Minutes to load windows

Office applications lag

Standard windows install fills up half the disk easily

Can simply not multi task on it because it's too weak

4gb of ram is not enough for windows 10 to run even ok

64gb emmc storage is super slow

A pentium 4 at 3ghz yes I did say pentium 4 from 2004 is better than the celeron n4020 in that laptop. I wish I was joking

You are basically going to be using a low to mid range 2004-2005 computer in 2021 so yeah it's gonna suck

Windows 10 S mode is literally the same OS as Windows 10, but with additional restrictions imposed by microsoft. You can disable it and have a system identical to if you installed 10 Home from the start with no noticeable difference in performance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Windows 10 S mode is literally the same OS as Windows 10, but with additional restrictions imposed by microsoft. You can disable it and have a system identical to if you installed 10 Home from the start with no noticeable difference in performance.

Thanks mate, 👍

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A pentium 4 at 3ghz yes I did say pentium 4 from 2004 is better than the celeron n4020 in that laptop. I wish I was joking

Bullshit, here is a link to a benchmark comparison It compares the N4020, a 3.6ghz pentium 4 and the cpu in my low end 2013 laptop

24 minutes ago, RandomChild said:

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Don't buy that laptop it's REALLY BAD. Like struggles at even the most basic tasks bad. Like legit even cheap phones nowadays are faster than this thing. There is a reason it's so cheap because it's absolutely terrible.

Examples as how bad:

Yt 720p if lucky

Minutes to load windows

Office applications lag

Standard windows install fills up half the disk easily

Can simply not multi task on it because it's too weak

4gb of ram is not enough for windows 10 to run even ok

64gb emmc storage is super slow

You are basically going to be using a low to mid range 2004-2005 computer in 2021 so yeah it's gonna suck

Ok well I’m using it for super basic things like watching some videos. Unless you have a cheaper and better laptop that can do super basic functions. It’s for my cousin he just wants to play roblox and watch videos.

1 minute ago, RandomChild said:

Ok well I’m using it for super basic things like watching some videos. Unless you have a cheaper and better laptop that can do super basic functions. It’s for my cousin he just wants to play roblox and watch videos.

Cheaper not really. Used probably a couple dells out there with a 3rd gen i5 8gb ram and a ssd.

Roblox will be a stretch on this.

I think roblox might lag on it, I think it lagged a little bit on some 3rd or 4th gen intel i3s on school computers a few yrs ago, Idk how low the graphics can go tho

2 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Well I just need to know if it’s ram is upgradable then the storage I’m fine with it being slow.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Cheaper not really. Used probably a couple dells out there with a 3rd gen i5 8gb ram and a ssd.

Roblox will be a stretch on this.

1. I’m giving it to a 7 year old they’ll be fine with it as a birthday present.

2. Roblox runs on even worse machines pretty well I think?

7 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Can you tell If it’s ram is soldered or upgradable on this?

From the 1 video I watched, I dont think the ram is upgradable, but the video showed that the storage is, which I am doubting

3 minutes ago, RandomChild said:

I checked, it isnt image.png.18d77744b379c730fd6cbc0940a4d4c6.png

10 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

3rd or 4th gen intel i3s

As a user of an i3-3217U, I can confirm Roblox is extremely bad on this potato. The ping goes too high and the fps is too low. Brookhaven or something(which most kids play) runs well, but other, some more demanding ones won't be playable unless you go for the lowest settings where the fps I get is around 20. Roblox runs bad on a 3217U, I'd expect it to be even worse on the Celeron.

My i3 has hyperthreading, so 4 threads. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Celeron has 2 threads, which is even worse.

9 minutes ago, RandomChild said:

Roblox runs on even worse machines pretty well I think?

It runs, but the experience is not-so-good as I said.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

As a user of a i3-3217U, I can confirm Roblox is extremely bad on this potato. The ping goes too high and the fps is too low. Brookhaven or something(which most kids play) runs well but other, some more demanding ones won't be playable unless you go for the lowest settings where the fps I get is around 20. Roblox runs bad on a 3217U, I'd expect it to be even worse on the Celeron.

My i3 has hyperthreading, so 4 threads. I don't know if it helps but the Celeron has 2 threads, which is even worse.

We had desktop school PCs, so the performance might have been better slightly

4 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

As a user of an i3-3217U, I can confirm Roblox is extremely bad on this potato. The ping goes too high and the fps is too low. Brookhaven or something(which most kids play) runs well, but other, some more demanding ones won't be playable unless you go for the lowest settings where the fps I get is around 20. Roblox runs bad on a 3217U, I'd expect it to be even worse on the Celeron.

My i3 has hyperthreading, so 4 threads. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the Celeron has 2 threads, which is even worse.

The Celeron is a Quad Core processor, it has 4 core and 4 threads. (Celeron N4100)

Just now, RandomChild said:

The Celeron is a Quad Core processor, it has 4 core and 4 threads. (Celeron N4100)

I'm sorry, I looked up the N4000. My bad. The experience then might be better then.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I would buy a used laptop with an i5 3rd gen like a T440 or T430 instead. They will cost approximately the same and have a massive performance difference.