Sound Card Cutting Out due to High Power Usage of Software

Hey there,

im having this issue for a while and now I finally wanna fix it.

My Situation:

Whenever I start screen sharing in Discord or MS Teams, my audio loses it completely.

In Teams I NEED to have Teams as "active window" or I won't hear anything and in Discord it is as soon as I wanna start sharing the screen or rather the previews.

I looked at the task manager and saw the power usage jumps up for teams/discord, which I assume is normal in both cases.

Funnily enough I don't have this issue when I play demanding games or VR.

ONLY when sharing my screen.

When I leave the "Screen Share Selection Window" open for a few seconds it completely kills the audio. (Included screen recording)

Quick Information beforehand:

- Software: VoiceMeeter Potato (to split game audio, coms and music, issue persists even when its off)

- GPU: RTX 3090 24GB (KFA2 Serious Gaming)

- PSU: 1200W beQuiet! Dark Power Pro P12

- Audio Card: ASUS XONAR SC150

My headphones are plugged via the sound card.

My Question/s:

So is this a software issue like bad screen capture implementation? Or is there a hardware issue that needs addressing ?

Im not quite sure what else I could write to give more information about it. So if you need something tell me please.

Thanks to all of you reading this and sharing your thoughts. ^^

Audio Card: ASUS XONAR SC150

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a sound card?  With the newer boards of the past 10 years or so, the sound of the onboard has greatly improved.  Have you tried removing the sound card and just going with the onboard sound?  Give it a shot and let us know what happens.  Got nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Good Luck.

18 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a sound card?

Im using that sound card because I have a "DT 1990 PRO" headset and as far as my research wasn't wrong when I bought them. (Please tell me if i just wasted 100€)

I needed more power to "unlock" the full potential of the headset.

FYI Motherboard is Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite.

Ok as quick update I disabled the "sound card" in the device manager and am running my headphones via the normal motherboard audio jack and surprise no audio lag when I select a screen to share nor while sharing ...

So the problem switched from what is wrong to "is there a way to fix it or do I just need a new card?"

• 11 months later...