How GNU/Linux is actually saving the environment as opposed to Windows or MacOS

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

TBF neither can KDE or Gnome.

with some creative hacking you can get debian and a window manager to run under 130 megs of RAM. I have tried it, but 256 megs is just pointless since you will be able to use something like gedit before the machine runs out of ram

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You never heard of Cinnamon or LXDE? Heck even XFCE can be made lightweight.

I heard that Plasma can also be amde lighter than XFCE

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

13 minutes ago, Roswell said:

This video is super illogical. He says running multiple computers puts a serious strain on the power grid. Back in reality, your refrigerator, heat/AC, water heater, lighting and everything else in your house consumes 200x more energy.

He also insinuates that keeping old hardware in use is good for the environment. While sometimes true, it’s not always the case. Running an old C2D at full tilt trying to render a modern webpage or YouTube video is going to consume 5x the power that a modern machine would require. Eventually using that ancient hardware will eclipse the carbon footprint of a new machine.

Well, that's sorta DT for you.....

But it's a fine balance to maintain between throwing out and reusing/recycling old hardware and getting newer more efficient stuff, in order to help the environment

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

The problem with this is that what if you don't have use for another computer? Sure i can install linux on old laptops and desktops, but if i bought a new laptop or desktop, it was meant as a replacement for my old one. I don't need another random old PC with linux that i will never use.

You're better off selling old devices and if you can't sell them, then take them to an e-waste recycler. I would say the kind of people looking to buy a used computer for real use, probably don't know what Linux us and would want windows instead. Good luck trying to convince a potential buyer to just use Linux.

also the "One of the things I'm my proud about is the fact that me using Linux, I have really made a difference as far as helping the environment, i have really made a difference simply by being a Linux user....." is maybe the most self-important fart-sniffing smug arrogant sentence i have ever heard

15 minutes ago, Roswell said:

He says running multiple computers puts a serious strain on the power grid.

This is the same person, who without any sense of irony, clearly has an entire server rack blinking away IN FRAME literally right behind him.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

51 minutes ago, Roswell said:

He also insinuates that keeping old hardware in use is good for the environment. While sometimes true, it’s not always the case. Running an old C2D at full tilt trying to render a modern webpage or YouTube video is going to consume 5x the power that a modern machine would require.

Actually in a lot of scenarios I think newer hardware actually reduces the power.  An example being older PC's didn't have the sleep states that modern ones have...so their idle power consumption was quite a bit higher than my modern PC would...along with what you said as well (where it requires more power/same power to do the same task).

Also, I find that most people who would do something like install Linux to extend it's purpose would be also buying a new computer (and turning the old one into a NAS or something)...so not exactly great in terms of electricity usage (although one could argue less e-waste).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

also the "One of the things I'm my proud about is the fact that me using Linux, I have really made a difference as far as helping the environment, i have really made a difference simply by being a Linux user....." is maybe the most self-important fart-sniffing smug arrogant sentence i have ever heard

This is the same person, who without any sense of irony, clearly has an entire server rack blinking away IN FRAME literally right behind him.

One of the reason many Linux users dislike him.....

Also he gets really political at times, like REALLY political

...and think of all the "old crappy" computers you lot will be tossing into the landfill just to have the newest "shiny round corners" windows...

I'll have all the hardware to run "useless crummy linux" to last a lifetime.😜

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Actually in a lot of scenarios I think newer hardware actually reduces the power.  An example being older PC's didn't have the sleep states that modern ones have...so their idle power consumption was quite a bit higher than my modern PC would...along with what you said as well (where it requires more power/same power to do the same task).

I think this is right.  When I built my new workstation last year I put in a Seasonic hybrid PSU.  Most of my work is pretty mundane with photo editing being the most complex and even that is pretty resource lite.  Maybe if everyone stopped gaming we would see a huge savings in electricity!😁

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10