unraid plex server question GPU

EnderDeath

i got a "Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz" with 16gb ram and i wanna get from a friend a "AMD Radeon™ R9 390X " to pair with it ....
will it work well for plex transcoding? cuz i understood plex and unraid dont play well with AMD cards 😞
does some knows if it works well or at all?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just use the igpu on your cpu if you want hardware encoding. It will use less power, and AMD gpus have pretty bad h264 hardware encoders.

i have a lot of usage in the night of the server and it can't hold all  its client asking for resources of the system ... long story short i have to upgrade it no matter what the question is do i buy an expensive GPU (because of the times) probably used one that i get from someone idk or do i use this one? 
if this GPU ( AMD Radeon™ R9 390X ) is not comparable or useful ( meaning my CPU will do better or similar work {not marginally better}) or will get me to pull my hair out, i won't use it.
but if its good and will work good even if not perfect in this sense of consumption.
i wanna know so i waste my money D: 

1 minute ago, EnderDeath said:

i have a lot of usage in the night of the server and it can't hold all  its client asking for resources of the system ... long story short i have to upgrade it no matter what the question is do i buy an expensive GPU (because of the times) probably used one that i get from someone idk or do i use this one? 
if this GPU ( AMD Radeon™ R9 390X ) is not comparable or useful ( meaning my CPU will do better or similar work {not marginally better}) or will get me to pull my hair out, i won't use it.
but if its good and will work good even if not perfect in this sense of consumption.
i wanna know so i waste my money D: 

Are you using hardware encoding currently? Your cpu has about the same encoder as the 390, probably better, so might as well try using that first.

Do you pay for plex pass? You need to do that to use GPU encoding.

How many streams are you seeing at once? What resolution?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you using hardware encoding currently? Your cpu has about the same encoder as the 390, probably better, so might as well try using that first.

Do you pay for plex pass? You need to do that to use GPU encoding.

How many streams are you seeing at once? What resolution?

i have plex pass life time and have the hardware acceleration and hardware-accelerated video encoding turned on in the settings for a long time now .
for how many streams its about 1-3 in the house and 3-4 (some times more some times less) out side the home network (that wanna use it at the same time obviously they can't at the moment because the server isn't powerful enough.

1 minute ago, EnderDeath said:

i have plex pass life time and have the hardware acceleration and hardware-accelerated video encoding turned on in the settings for a long time now .
for how many streams its about 1-3 in the house and 3-4 (some times more some times less) out side the home network (that wanna use it at the same time obviously they can't at the moment because the server isn't powerful enough.

Id skip that amd gpu, the hardware encoding on your cpu is already better. Id check that its actually using hardware encoding though.

If you want better encoding, id go either with a semi modern nvidia gpu, or get a faster cpu. Id probalby get a faster cpu as it will make everything faster too, along with a better encoder with something like a i5 11400.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id skip that amd gpu, the hardware encoding on your cpu is already better. Id check that its actually using hardware encoding though.

If you want better encoding, id go either with a semi modern nvidia gpu, or get a faster cpu. Id probalby get a faster cpu as it will make everything faster too, along with a better encoder with something like a i5 11400.

ok tnx for the help!
hat sucks i checked the numbers and it supposed to be 5% more powerful then a 1060 thought I struck gold and it will fix my problem.

Just now, EnderDeath said:

ok tnx for the help!
hat sucks i checked the numbers and it supposed to be 5% more powerful then a 1060 thought I struck gold and it will fix my problem.

The normal gaming performance won't matter as its not using that part of the gpu. Only the encoder is used on the gpu. 

What resolution are you working with. Id probably just try to get more clients to direct play.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The normal gaming performance won't matter as its not using that part of the gpu. Only the encoder is used on the gpu. 

What resolution are you working with. Id probably just try to get more clients to direct play.

most 1080 and some 4k
idk if can get direct play im at already stressing my internet abit and the internet compeny here sucks 😞

23 hours ago, EnderDeath said:

will it work well for plex transcoding?

While Plex now supports AMD transcoding, um your milage will vary. Even under the system requirements on their website they state "  Our hardware-transcoding system has technical support for many dedicated AMD graphics cards, but we haven’t done official, full testing on those. Support for AMD GPUs is provided “as is” and your mileage may vary. It is recommended that you use Intel Quick Sync Video or a dedicated NVIDIA GPU." 

Its highly recommend that you use Intel Quick Sync or an Nvidia GPU. Also last I understood, Transcoding for Plex via AMD was only working on Windows. This might have changed, but I dont think so. Because all references on the Plex website show them talking about AMD in the Windows section, but nothing when it comes to Linux. https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

22 hours ago, EnderDeath said:

dk if can get direct play im at already stressing my internet abit and the internet compeny here sucks 😞

Plex shouldn't be stressing your internet unless your doing remote play. Are you using Plex outside the house? If not, then your internet is irrelevant. Also, if you are using Plex outside the house Id recommend just manually convert videos down to a lower quality and use those when outside the house. To be honest the 4K thread on the Plex forums highly discourages transcoding 4K content as that can take a bit of power. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

While Plex now supports AMD transcoding, um your milage will vary. Even under the system requirements on their website they state "  Our hardware-transcoding system has technical support for many dedicated AMD graphics cards, but we haven’t done official, full testing on those. Support for AMD GPUs is provided “as is” and your mileage may vary. It is recommended that you use Intel Quick Sync Video or a dedicated NVIDIA GPU." 

Its highly recommend that you use Intel Quick Sync or an Nvidia GPU. Also last I understood, Transcoding for Plex via AMD was only working on Windows. This might have changed, but I dont think so. Because all references on the Plex website show them talking about AMD in the Windows section, but nothing when it comes to Linux. https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Plex shouldn't be stressing your internet unless your doing remote play. Are you using Plex outside the house? If not, then your internet is irrelevant. Also, if you are using Plex outside the house Id recommend just manually convert videos down to a lower quality and use those when outside the house. To be honest the 4K thread on the Plex forums highly discourages transcoding 4K content as that can take a bit of power. 

i use it out side my house only on my phone but i gave access  to my siblings and a few friends and they don't live with me ....
as for the 390X i dont think it will work well after everything you guys told me but maybe ill test it if i can to make sure

thx for the help and if you have any tips ill love them!