Retro gaming rig options

Adam1984

Hi guys, its been an awfully long time since Ive been on here, please go easy on me if you can. 

Im trying to work out the best way to run Windows 95/98/MsDos games.

Ive looked for old systems but they seem few and far between, they seem to be mainly on ebay which seems a gamble.

I also considered scratch building using old parts which I would enjoy but I feel it may be pricy and a little tricky. An 8mb voodoo card is still expensive

Also considered building a low end modern machine which I would really enjoy doing but I hear Dosbox isnt the best solution either.

Really not sure what to do, would probably spend £150-200 on this as I also collect other retro system stuff too.

Any advIce? 

Most of the classic titles on GOG come preconfigured to run on modern systems through DOSbox or whatever as needed. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Have you considered using a raspberry pi to create an emulation station? They typically can include older windows titles.

22 minutes ago, Delnith said:

Have you considered using a raspberry pi to create an emulation station? They typically can include older windows titles.

Yes I am planning a raspberry pi rig for some of my retro gaming, but my main goal is having original hardware and game boxes etc.

36 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Most of the classic titles on GOG come preconfigured to run on modern systems through DOSbox or whatever as needed. 

I might consider that actually, even though I want a physical copy of the old games too. I presume the old games are fairly cheap. At least I could play them on pc hardware like the old days, maybe a low end build might be the way to go. Ive got an asus p8z68 in an old coolermaster case with 8gb of ddr3 so could go from there maybe? Been a long time since I dabbled with pc stuff

Raspberry Pi or a NUC box.  Iris Xe will be more than enough to crush those games without ever needing to touch a GPU.