Which is better one 1TB or two 500GB?

BoogieBuilds

I'm looking at getting 1TB of SSD for my PC build. Should I get one 1TB drive or two 500GB drives (my budget for SSD is $120 USD)? Also, I need help finding specific SSD drives that I should purchase. Right now I have a  Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive in my amazon shopping cart. Please let me know which one you use or which one you recommend so I can find one to use in my build. Btw I am going to purchase 5TB of total storage (1TB SSD and 4TB HDD). Have a nice day 🙂

The single drive is probably better. It's cheaper, and you'd have less points of failure. Two may perform better if you RAID them together, but it's hard to notice and you'd be better off just getting a better drive instead. The SN550 is a pretty good drive, though you should check to see if the SN750 is in your price range since it is a decent amount better.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The single drive is probably better. It's cheaper, and you'd have less points of failure. Two may perform better if you RAID them together, but it's hard to notice and you'd be better off just getting a better drive instead. The SN550 is a pretty good drive, though you should check to see if the SN750 is in your price range since it is a decent amount better.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make sure to look into the SN550 and SN750.

it depends on what you're doing on them

2x 500gb may be safer in the case of one failing, you dont lose all your data

plus you'll still have a working 500gb SSD to do whatever

but, if you tend to keep large files, you may not be able to fully utilise the drive

say for example, if each drive have 60gb of space each, but you need to put in a 80gb game, you won't be able to, while you can fit it into the combined 120gb on the 1TB drive just fine

my opinion:

get a separate drive for OS installation and seperate drive for games etc etc, so if you do need to reinstall OS, you can just format that one drive and your other files are unaffected

that's why i have 240GB (good quality) SSD for OS, and 1TB/500GB (cheapo) SSD for games, and HDD for other mass storages

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it depends on what you're doing on them

2x 500gb may be safer in the case of one failing, you dont lose all your data

plus you'll still have a working 500gb SSD to do whatever

but, if you tend to keep large files, you may not be able to fully utilise the drive

say for example, if each drive have 60gb of space each, but you need to put in a 80gb game, you won't be able to, while you can fit it into the combined 120gb on the 1TB drive just fine

my opinion:

get a separate drive for OS installation and seperate drive for games etc etc, so if you do need to reinstall OS, you can just format that one drive and your other files are unaffected

that's why i have 240GB (good quality) SSD for OS, and 1TB/500GB (cheapo) SSD for games, and HDD for other mass storages

Thanks for the suggestions! I currently have Windows 10 Pro on a 240GB SSD right now and I plan on transferring it to my next build. Should I only store my OS on it or can I put more files on the SSD?

Just now, BoogieBuilds said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I currently have Windows 10 Pro on a 240GB SSD right now and I plan on transferring it to my next build. Should I only store my OS on it or can I put more files on the SSD?

that's up to you

for me, i only put files that i wouldnt mind getting wipe in a format, meaning mostly just software installations

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Storage drives always come in pairs because otherwise you don't have redundancy.  It's never a question of if but always of when a device fails, especially with SSDs.