System76 Launch

BaronVonJace

I've seen a handful of reviews of the System76 Launch keyboard and it seems everyone loves it.

I've been on the fence ordering one up as my first "real" mechanical keyboard. I currently have a Redragon from Amazon.

If you have this keyboard, what do you think of it? I'm leaning towards getting it but want to hear non Youtube peoples opinions.

Hey there.

21 hours ago, BaronVonJace said:

I've been on the fence ordering one up as my first "real" mechanical keyboard.

Hm.

What about the System 76 Launch interests you?

If it's switch customizability or QMK-compatibility you're after, there are plenty of cheaper hot-swappable QMK boards, or hot-swappable QMK boards with better features and better build quality than the Launch.

• GMMK Pro ($170 from Glorious): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Rotary Knob. Gasket-Mounted. QMK-Compatible.
  • IDOBAO ID80 ($140 - $160 from IDOBAO): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Integrated Plate. QMK-Compatible.
  • Keychron Q1 ($150 - $180 from Keychron): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Gasket-Mounted. QMK-Compatible.
  • Keychron K2 ($80 from Keychron): 75% Layout. Hot-Swappable. Wireless Connectivity.

If it's the split spacebar that's caught your eye, again, the market has other options:

• KBD75 ($200 from KBDfans): 75% Layout. Supports Split Spacebar. QMK-Compatible.
  • Split ($82 from YMDK): 75% Layout. Supports Split Spacebar.
  • Sinc ($60 from Keebio): 75% Layout. Supports Split Spacebar. Rotary Encoder.

One of the Launch's quirks is its 1.5U modifier keycaps:

System-76-Launch---Keycaps-1.PNG

I believe the justification for the 1.5U sizing is an attempt to standardize the modifier keys, such that the physical keycaps are interchangeable with one another and will reflect remaps. For example, reprogramming the Backspace key to function as Escape, and correspondingly swapping out the Backspace keycap for an Escape keycap. Unfortunately and ironically, the niche ability to customize the physical positions of the modifier keycaps comes at the severe cost of customizing the keyboard's appearance.

Overhauling a keyboard's keycaps is an easy way to personalize its appearance, but if the user is shopping for compatible keycap sets to dress up their Launch, the 1.5U modifiers will make the process needlessly difficult. Most aftermarket keycap sets aren't equipped with enough 1.5U modifier keycaps to outfit the entire Launch. Especially uncommon are 1.5U keys for Caps Lock, Delete, Backspace, Enter.

As a result of the 1.5U keycap design choice, there's a noticeable gap beside the left-side modifier keys. Up to personal preferences whether it irks you or not, but it's unsightly IMO:

unknown.png

The other unique thing about the Launch would be its high-speed USB hub, advertised for up to 10 Gbps. AFAIK, while keebs with USB hubs / USB passthrough aren't a novelty (Logitech G413, CORSAIR K70, Steelseries Apex Pro, other gaming keyboards) no other custom keeb on the market has a 10 Gbps capability.

Though, in what use case a 10 Gbps USB hub attached to a keyboard would be an absolute necessity, I'm not entirely sure.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Wow! Thanks for the informative reply.

What drew me into the Launch was the QMK and hot swappable switches. I could go either way with the split space bar. Thought it was a neat little quirk but its not a make or break "feature" for me.

After looking at the links you gave I think I'm going to go for the GMMK Pro with Kailh purples.