GPU overheating with waterblock

Telchines

I just put together my custom loop, Everything is fine but my GPU is overheating worse than the factory cooler now. I have a 3090 FE so I got the EK-Quantum Vector-FE (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3090-d-rgb-black-special-edition) Before with the stock FE cooler I was getting 100ish memory temp and core and hot spot were around 70C but now after a few seconds of any game My temps jump up to Core: 75C Memory: 110C Hot Spot: 103C

Any advice on fixing this? I've taken it apart and have made sure all the thermal pads are in the correct spots and reapplied the thermal paste. 

Ive tried my pump at 100% changes nothing, my cpu under a stress test stays around 55C

Specs: Intel i7-4790k | Corsair H60 | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | 4x4g Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte g1 970 | Sandisk u110 128GB SSD | 1TB Toshiba Hard Drive | Corsair RM750 | Corsair Air 540 4 Corsair AF120 LED Purple 2 Corsair AF140 LED Purple

When you took it apart did it look like the cooler was making good contact with the GPU die?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

When you took it apart did it look like the cooler was making good contact with the GPU die?

Yeah, everything looked like it was making contact

Specs: Intel i7-4790k | Corsair H60 | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | 4x4g Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte g1 970 | Sandisk u110 128GB SSD | 1TB Toshiba Hard Drive | Corsair RM750 | Corsair Air 540 4 Corsair AF120 LED Purple 2 Corsair AF140 LED Purple

2 hours ago, Telchines said:

Yeah, everything looked like it was making contact

please show photos.

Do you have the active backplate? The 3090 has memory chips on the back and they need cooling. Did you place the thermal pads everywhere as stated (that includes underneath the stock backplate if you did not opt for the active backplate)? The manual states just a single type of pads so at least you can't mix them up. Post a picture of the paste spread on the die. Which of the ports is your inlet? I know the manual says it doesn't matter but they use some sort of jet plate after all so I'd recommend using the upper port as inlet. What other components do you have in your loop? Is the GPU the only component in the loop? Do you have any sensors in your loop (flow and/or coolant temp)? Dud you make sure you've used the correct ports on the pump or distro plate? People have by accident connected their runs to 2 inlets on pumps/distroplates basically not having any flow.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

On 9/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, For Science! said:

please show photos.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:28 PM, bowrilla said:

Do you have the active backplate? The 3090 has memory chips on the back and they need cooling. Did you place the thermal pads everywhere as stated (that includes underneath the stock backplate if you did not opt for the active backplate)? The manual states just a single type of pads so at least you can't mix them up. Post a picture of the paste spread on the die. Which of the ports is your inlet? I know the manual says it doesn't matter but they use some sort of jet plate after all so I'd recommend using the upper port as inlet. What other components do you have in your loop? Is the GPU the only component in the loop? Do you have any sensors in your loop (flow and/or coolant temp)? Dud you make sure you've used the correct ports on the pump or distro plate? People have by accident connected their runs to 2 inlets on pumps/distroplates basically not having any flow.

I just took it apart to take pictures and I found out the problem, one of the screws they sent me was about 1mm to long leading to it not having contact on the one side, I cut that screw down so the core and hotspot temps are great now and can actually play games but the only other thing im running into now is the "active" backplate doesn't seem to be doing anything the backplate is getting to hot to touch still (95-100C), so I probably will have to see if I can ghetto something up for that any suggestions on that part?

4 minutes ago, Telchines said:

but the only other thing im running into now is the "active" backplate doesn't seem to be doing anything the backplate is getting to hot to touch still (95-100C),

You never mentioned that you actually HAVE an active backplate. It won't be included with the regular waterblock. This is the active backplate.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

21 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

You never mentioned that you actually HAVE an active backplate. It won't be included with the regular waterblock. This is the active backplate.

Oh shit I’m stupid well guess I’ll order that next

I took “Hybrid” as active but it’s not my bad