Need advice on long overdue new PC build (High Budget)

Modified51

Budget (including currency): $4000~

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General gaming, Sim racing, VR

My current system was purchased approximately 9 or 10 years ago and I gave it a bit of an overhaul about 5 years ago but now it's time to step it up to an all new build and go way overkill for my needs. I'm hoping to stay around the $4,000 mark but am flexible as necessary. I'll mainly be using the system for sim racing, VR gaming, and general games such as, Rocket league, Apex legends, Sea of Thieves, Etc. I'll also be editing GoPro videos but that's very minimal and I don't do any serious editing to them. Overall asthetic im looking for is a completely white build and down the road to hopefully liquid cool it. I'll be taking my current PC and turning it into a living room TV hub so I'm stoked on that! I'll attach my PC Part Picker list and just looking for any recommendations on hardware changes you'd make or any issues I might be looking at I wasnt expecting. Thanks in advance!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PFWT68

I would try to go AMD for GPU as they are generally cheaper to find nowadays and usually perform better anyway. The 6800 XT still fits in your budget and you might even be able to fit in a 6900 XT if you can find one that low.

Other than that, I agree with everything, and I love the white theme.

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

1 hour ago, Modified51 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General gaming, Sim racing, VR

My current system was purchased approximately 9 or 10 years ago and I gave it a bit of an overhaul about 5 years ago but now it's time to step it up to an all new build and go way overkill for my needs. I'm hoping to stay around the $4,000 mark but am flexible as necessary. I'll mainly be using the system for sim racing, VR gaming, and general games such as, Rocket league, Apex legends, Sea of Thieves, Etc. I'll also be editing GoPro videos but that's very minimal and I don't do any serious editing to them. Overall asthetic im looking for is a completely white build and down the road to hopefully liquid cool it. I'll be taking my current PC and turning it into a living room TV hub so I'm stoked on that! I'll attach my PC Part Picker list and just looking for any recommendations on hardware changes you'd make or any issues I might be looking at I wasnt expecting. Thanks in advance!

value wise 4/10 (bad)

You can build themed builds for much less

Horrendously overpriced aio, you most likeley arent overclocking like the majority of ppl nowadays so a 360 is uneccesary, go for a 280mm aio like the h115i or whatever cheap white aio you can find

Board is uneccesary, go for a b550 steel legend or whatever that white b550 asus board was called i forget ;-;

Well atleast the ram is cl16 though its abit pricey, find some cheaper rams if you can but hey atleast its not cl18 like some other rams (looking at you rgb pro)

Surprisingly the 970 2tb isnt overpriced to sht, if you wanna save ~50$ go for a mushkin pilot e instead

That white psu is hot garbage in value, might aswell get a 1000w at that price, maybe go for the white verison of corsairs rm psu

Fans are overpriced, theyll get blown out of the water by arctic and noctua, go for some cheaper white fans, i think p120 bionix has a white version but its not rgb, if you are fine with sacrificing abit of silence and fan performance then the corsair fans might be ok considering that you are running an open air "case" or rather testbench

With the money saved you can prob get a better cpu and gpu

Edit : i think you can just ditch the fans altogether since your case is effectively and open air testbench

I really do like how your build looks, But here what I would do:

You could save few bucks on parts, They will still look great, But allow you to get 5950X, Or save little more money for GPU, While not loosing anything in terms of performance or quality.

Motherboard: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BYBhP6/asrock-b550-steel-legend-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-steel-legend

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y96qqs/asus-rog-strix-b550-a-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-a-gaming

AIO:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7PxRsY/corsair-icue-h150i-elite-capellix-75-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060051-ww

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gcsnTW/lian-li-galahad-aio-360-rgb-6917-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-galahad-aio-360-rgb-white

Also get different drive, Because 970 Evo plus stands somewhat between good Gen 3 drives and Gen 4 drive with price (Also don't forget, Samsung have been caught changing components in 970 Evo Plus, that makes drive slower and no longer good value)

If gen 3 is enough for you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vkLwrH/mushkin-pilot-e-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mknssdpe2tb-d8

If you wan't Gen 4:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nb2bt6/team-cardea-zero-z440-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-tm8fp7002t0c311

Both are good and respectable drives with great speeds.

Other than that looks really good and this changes are also optional, It's just personal preference and more dependent on aesthetics and how you want your PC to look. (Except drive, This two is really better option)

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

value wise 4/10 (bad)

You can build themed builds for much less

Horrendously overpriced aio, you most likeley arent overclocking like the majority of ppl nowadays so a 360 is uneccesary, go for a 280mm aio like the h115i or whatever cheap white aio you can find

Board is uneccesary, go for a b550 steel legend or whatever that white b550 asus board was called i forget ;-;

Well atleast the ram is cl16 though its abit pricey, find some cheaper rams if you can but hey atleast its not cl18 like some other rams (looking at you rgb pro)

Surprisingly the 970 2tb isnt overpriced to sht, if you wanna save ~50$ go for a mushkin pilot e instead

That white psu is hot garbage in value, might aswell get a 1000w at that price, maybe go for the white verison of corsairs rm psu

Fans are overpriced, theyll get blown out of the water by arctic and noctua, go for some cheaper white fans, i think p120 bionix has a white version but its not rgb, if you are fine with sacrificing abit of silence and fan performance then the corsair fans might be ok considering that you are running an open air "case" or rather testbench

With the money saved you can prob get a better cpu and gpu

I absolutely agree, But I forgot one thing, I think you as well, So doesn't that case need fans on only AIO? And dosn't AIO already comes with RGB fans? So what's point of getting more fans? Where those going to be mounted? 😄

Just now, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I absolutely agree, But I forgot one thing, I think you as well, So doesn't that case need fans on only AIO? And dosn't AIO already comes with RGB fans? So what's point of getting more fans? Where those going to be mounted? 😄

Rip just edited my post cause i realised that the extra fans are uneccesary ;-;

Ah well too late i guess

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Rip just edited my post cause i realised that the extra fans are uneccesary ;-;

Ah well too late i guess

Yeah, So hopefully OP reads it and doesn't buys extra fans 😄 😄 

Looks like a great build, I just switched out some parts for ones, that I know perform equally or that aren't overpriced. I also tried to keep the aesthetic

With this case, you don't really need 3 additional RGB fans, because airflow will be plenty with your case.

Splitted the Storage into a gen4 boot drive and a gen3 storage nvme

And yes, the RX6900XT will be fast enough to beat any 3080, so I'd aim for that.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Pgjwz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($559.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB 69.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.38 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($185.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card  ($1777.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($189.99 @ ASUS) 
Total: $3560.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-27 08:56 EDT-0400

2 hours ago, Modified51 said:

intel 12th gen is coming out in the next month or so, so it might be worth waiting for that (it shows a 20% increase over the 5950x even in all-core, even though it has 8 efficiency cores)

I don't know much about VR/Sim racing though, so can't help much there

Hey guys thanks for all the great info! I changed over to a crucial P2 2TB NVME (Forgot about Samsung Scumbagging with the 970) and got rid of the extra case fans (Spaced out on the AIO coming with fans lol) and It's opened up a bit of the budget! I'm not pushing for the absolute limit of performance so as long as I get much much better performance than my current setup (GTX1070, I7-7700K, 16GB Ram, and 2.5 SSD's) I'd rather have the asthetic. Big thing is I want a completely white build if possible so 6900XT doesn't work for me with what's out there unfortunately and the NZXT N7 board really makes a nice white background and the squared design makes everything really clean looking. Also I'd like to keep the Asus GPU, AIO, and PSU due to the uniformity of it but that's just me being petty lol. Big question now is with extra budget would I be better off going to 64gb ram and cleaning up the board asthetic with 4 sticks or go with a 5950X for some more performance? I'm probably not going to wait for Intel 12th gen as I really don't think I'm going to be pushing the system nearly hard enough to notice. Thanks again!

***UPDATED LIST WITH BOTH 5950X AND 64GB RAM***

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fs8cJf

They tried telling u

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.1 GHZ, RAM: Teamgroup elite 12gb DDR4 @3200mhz, MOBO: GA-A320M-S2H v1, GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 3060 OC 12 GB, CASE: Old Antec one i found, PSU: CV750 Corsair

14 minutes ago, Phantomcorgi94 said:

They tried telling u

Huh? They tried telling me what?

10 hours ago, Modified51 said:

Hey guys thanks for all the great info! I changed over to a crucial P2 2TB NVME (Forgot about Samsung Scumbagging with the 970) and got rid of the extra case fans (Spaced out on the AIO coming with fans lol) and It's opened up a bit of the budget! I'm not pushing for the absolute limit of performance so as long as I get much much better performance than my current setup (GTX1070, I7-7700K, 16GB Ram, and 2.5 SSD's) I'd rather have the asthetic. Big thing is I want a completely white build if possible so 6900XT doesn't work for me with what's out there unfortunately and the NZXT N7 board really makes a nice white background and the squared design makes everything really clean looking. Also I'd like to keep the Asus GPU, AIO, and PSU due to the uniformity of it but that's just me being petty lol. Big question now is with extra budget would I be better off going to 64gb ram and cleaning up the board asthetic with 4 sticks or go with a 5950X for some more performance? I'm probably not going to wait for Intel 12th gen as I really don't think I'm going to be pushing the system nearly hard enough to notice. Thanks again!

***UPDATED LIST WITH BOTH 5950X AND 64GB RAM***

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fs8cJf

I wouldn't recommend the P2 as a pure boot drive. Go with a good SSD with Cache (crucial p5, WD Black Sn750, Samsung 970 evo plus) and maybe a 1TB P2 on top for games, but you get the best SSD performance if it has a cache.

You really don't need the 5950X, I would stick to the 5900X, easier to cool and basically same game performance.

You can go 4 Sticks of 8GB Ram and have 32GB overall, which is more then enough for today.

As for GPU, yeah the white ROG Strix looks good. The 6900XT will outperform it tho. So if you can live with a not pure white GPU, then you'll have a way better PC. But thats your decision.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XPrgkX

6 minutes ago, KKLawrence said:

I wouldn't recommend the P2 as a pure boot drive. Go with a good SSD with Cache (crucial p5, WD Black Sn750, Samsung 970 evo plus) and maybe a 1TB P2 on top for games, but you get the best SSD performance if it has a cache.

You really don't need the 5950X, I would stick to the 5900X, easier to cool and basically same game performance.

You can go 4 Sticks of 8GB Ram and have 32GB overall, which is more then enough for today.

As for GPU, yeah the white ROG Strix looks good. The 6900XT will outperform it tho. So if you can live with a not pure white GPU, then you'll have a way better PC. But thats your decision.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XPrgkX

Thanks for the heads up! Changed over to the SN750 1tb for boot and kept the P2 2tb for secondary drive. Also changed it to the 4x8 RAM as yeah I've never even pushed the limits of my current 2x8 so why overspend. Also changed back to the 5900x again for the same reason. I'd really like to keep the 3080 just because I want to love the way it looks if I spend this much and I still will never take advantage of it as is probably. Really good info and thinking this thing is getting dialed in and learning a bunch about component selection! 

Here's the current list

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M96zqp

29 minutes ago, Modified51 said:

Thanks for the heads up! Changed over to the SN750 1tb for boot and kept the P2 2tb for secondary drive. Also changed it to the 4x8 RAM as yeah I've never even pushed the limits of my current 2x8 so why overspend. Also changed back to the 5900x again for the same reason. I'd really like to keep the 3080 just because I want to love the way it looks if I spend this much and I still will never take advantage of it as is probably. Really good info and thinking this thing is getting dialed in and learning a bunch about component selection! 

Here's the current list

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M96zqp

As long as you are aware of the higher price you'll pay for the white ROG branding, you're good. The list looks like a great rig and I would be jealous!

Now good luck on finding the best price for every item on the list, as this is - for me at least - one of the most fun parts!

2 minutes ago, KKLawrence said:

As long as you are aware of the higher price you'll pay for the white ROG branding

By higher you mean 2x more overpriced than nzxt and corsair combined xD

Yea just get the cheapest white stuff you can, i wouldnt bother spending even 5% of my budget for asthetics, though if you really got cash to burn and want an asthetic focused build then ok i guess, might aswell win some build competitions so you can make that money back

1 hour ago, KKLawrence said:

As long as you are aware of the higher price you'll pay for the white ROG branding, you're good. The list looks like a great rig and I would be jealous!

Now good luck on finding the best price for every item on the list, as this is - for me at least - one of the most fun parts!

Going to be on the hunt lol. Thank you again for the help from you and everyone else!

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

By higher you mean 2x more overpriced than nzxt and corsair combined xD

Yea just get the cheapest white stuff you can, i wouldnt bother spending even 5% of my budget for asthetics, though if you really got cash to burn and want an asthetic focused build then ok i guess, might aswell win some build competitions so you can make that money back

Yeah there's definitely the big name premium but I'm willing to spend it for the look lol. Everything I own from cars, trucks, motorcycles, hobbies, etc is white so I'm gonna keep the theme going since I'm glutton for punishment haha

• 2 months later...

Hey y’all. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and stoked to share how it came out! Added some minor details and Cable Mods cables really tied it all together!

Apologies if photos added are small as I’m adding them from my phone and not PC lol. 8820A174-9D74-4568-A0CD-DA64326E5582.thumb.jpeg.cc6e3a652d381b52aa8cd6a5129610af.jpeg

DCBF384C-221F-4A00-BFB6-434C63B61BE4.jpeg

11B46083-C18F-4BFA-80B4-10EF04C2C95C.jpeg

350559AE-F8A0-4D23-B172-3A06AA24A3C0.jpeg

173C365E-8C85-4CD7-B553-DDC08DB6F77D.jpeg

1051D0F6-CC1F-4FBA-9A22-47E60A260C48.jpeg

3A46A89A-0C2A-453E-9158-8E2AABE2BEB7.jpeg

A3396FBB-D818-465A-84BC-D4CC1045C9DB.jpeg