Laptop still overheats after thermal paste replacement (fans won't reach high enough RPM)

Richie9

I have an ASUS Zephyrus G14, and I recently replaced my thermal paste, only to have a new problem... my fan speeds are capped at 5,000 RPM despite my fan curve and I am thermal throttling quite often. Before I replaced the thermal paste, I had set the fan curve to reach ~7,000 RPM, but now it won't get close.

*Temps hit 90C, but it takes a bit longer than before to reach that point

Is it because your fans are struggling to reach that speed? It either could be an issue with your fans or you just gotta give the poor thing a clean, it may be dusty.

1 minute ago, Rob_dog said:

Is it because your fans are struggling to reach that speed? It either could be an issue with your fans or you just gotta give the poor thing a clean, it may be dusty.

I'll try to clean my fans tomorrow, they did look a little dusty when I re-applied the thermal paste tbh. I was thinking it was either an issue with the fans' wire connection or a software issue because the fan curve changes absolutely nothing... almost seems like it's stuck in "silent" mode.

I figured out my issue... I'm super dumb (and so is ASUS😂). There's a super tiny button with a box and a check mark that you have to click if u want to use the "manual" fan curve. It must have popped up in an update or something. Thanks @Rob_dogfor trying to help, lol. *I cleaned my fans just for u😚

20 hours ago, Richie9 said:

I figured out my issue... I'm super dumb (and so is ASUS😂). There's a super tiny button with a box and a check mark that you have to click if u want to use the "manual" fan curve. It must have popped up in an update or something. Thanks @Rob_dogfor trying to help, lol. *I cleaned my fans just for u😚

You're welcome. Enjoy your laptop.