Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can a monitor dictate the GPU performance?

I'd like to ask if my cheap/simple monitor that runs on 60hz, 5ms and 1080p can affect my FPS count. Is that possible?

(V-Sync is off)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: Corsair Veangeance 32GB DDR4 (4x8) @ 2400MHz; GPU: GTX 1080 - GIGABYTE TURBO OC; Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think it's possible, but why are you asking? If you're asking if you can use the cheap monitor for benchmarking purposes, then yeah go for it. If you're asking so you can use it as your main panel, you won't be able to see anything above 60FPS so why would it matter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, heimdali said:

What do you mean by "GPU-performance"?

 

Uhh...fps amount?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: Corsair Veangeance 32GB DDR4 (4x8) @ 2400MHz; GPU: GTX 1080 - GIGABYTE TURBO OC; Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't think it's possible, but why are you asking? If you're asking if you can use the cheap monitor for benchmarking purposes, then yeah go for it. If you're asking so you can use it as your main panel, you won't be able to see anything above 60FPS so why would it matter?

What if the monitor has a problem or something? I know the odds are low, I'm just being curious. Even if the monitor had an issue or smthng, I dont see why the gpu would reduce the amount fps being delivered... Right?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: Corsair Veangeance 32GB DDR4 (4x8) @ 2400MHz; GPU: GTX 1080 - GIGABYTE TURBO OC; Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, I don't know.  If the power consumption of your graphics card is higher when sync to vblanc is disabled than when it is enabled, you could take that as indication that your GPU is working harder (for some reason) with snyc disabled.  That's assuming that your computer consumes more power when the graphics card renders more FPS, like mine does.

 

What happens when you disconnect the monitor from the graphics card?  Does that affect performance?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

What if the monitor has a problem or something? I know the odds are low, I'm just being curious. Even if the monitor had an issue or smthng, I dont see why the gpu would reduce the amount fps being delivered... Right?

If the monitor had a problem, the problem would only be in displaying the image. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If the monitor had a problem, the problem would only be in displaying the image. 

Thank you for the answer, sir.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: Corsair Veangeance 32GB DDR4 (4x8) @ 2400MHz; GPU: GTX 1080 - GIGABYTE TURBO OC; Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×