Using electrical tape to overclock an old, locked processor?

This was really interesting and caught my attention. Is it true that you can overclock an intel q6600 by blocking some pins on the cpu with electrical tape? Could someone explain how it works? Is it safe? And could it work for newer gen processors?

video: 

yea

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

3 minutes ago, BumbleBeeChicken said:

could it work for newer gen processors

no, its only for that socket, i forgot what it was i think 755 or 751 not sure.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

no, its only for that socket, i forgot what it was i think 755 or 751 not sure.

interesting, do you know what those two pins controlled?

23 minutes ago, BumbleBeeChicken said:

interesting, do you know what those two pins controlled?

They controlled the speed of the front-side bus (FSB). Taping over them to disconnect them would increase the speed of the FSB and thus increase the speed of the CPU. I believe by default the FSB ran at 1066 MHz, and by taping over one of the pins it would increase to 1333 MHz. Taping over the second one would further increase it to 1600 MHz, but only worked reliably on a few CPU/motherboard combos.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

"Locked" processors have started to be a thing with second gen core I series CPUs. Everything before that was overclockable. We got a great thread here. https://linustechtips.com/topic/767799-how-to-lga-775-bsel-mod-overclocking-with-tape/

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18