5600x VS 5800x for valorant competitive and Motherboard recommendations

Budget (including currency): $800 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Valorant, Battlefield 2042

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Upgrading from 8700k OC'd @5ghz, 1080p 240hz

Hey guys, I am an aspiring valorant competitor so all I really care about is max fps ingame, not productivity. I know the 5600x and 5800x do not vary to much in average fps but I was wondering if it was worth the jump between the two cpus in case of the 1% lows. I was also wondering what motherboard would be a good pairing in terms of straight power delivery and good VRMS. I know the MAG X570 tomahawk is a great board but slightly out of my price range. So I was thinking of going for the B550 tomahawk instead. Would appreciate any other suggestions.

5600x and a B550 Tomahawk would be just fine for your needs. You're not going to gain anything appreciable just playing games using a 5800x.

Frame wise, there will be very little difference. Typically, you'll have a smoother game experience with 8 cores. Less frame drops, frame stutters and better frame pacing. Another thing to consider is how many background programs are you running? 2nd Monitor? If you tend run multiple programs while gaming, I would recommend 8 cores. Although for competitive shooters, I lean towards 8 cores due to more bodies on the screens tends to tax to CPU a little more.

B550 tomahawk will be plenty for both CPU's.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Frame wise, there will be very little difference. Typically, you'll have a smoother game experience with 8 cores. Less frame drops, frame stutters and better frame pacing. Another thing to consider is how many background programs are you running? 2nd Monitor? If you tend run multiple programs while gaming, I would recommend 8 cores. Although for competitive shooters, I lean towards 8 cores due to more bodies on the screens tends to tax to CPU a little more.

B550 tomahawk will be plenty for both CPU's.

Ah i see, I do have a 2nd monitor running at all times. In terms of background programs, all I ever have open when im playing is chrome, spotify, discord, so nothing out of the ordinary. Then maybe the occasional stream via streamlabs obs but i run it off nvenc not x264. Appreciate the help