network mess and a solution request.

TechSloth

Hi all,

im looking to pick your brains to find a solution for this rats nest of a corner that my company has. i will attatch the diagram i managed to figure out and see if there is any solution. yeah i know it has a fax line, this is japan, for some reason they still use and love fax... so it kind of complicates things i think while looking for a solution.

please forgive the simplicity and the japanese, im not the only one that has to read it.

so it goes internet > Router 1 & fax line > Router 2 & Phone line > Switch 1 > WAP & Switch 2 > 4 Computers & Printer.

there is also a chonky ancient white box with NTT written on it. we dont know if its part of the fax/phone lines or a UPS or something else. Not even the IT Support that we use has a scooby what it is. hahaha they were sooo confused by the set up it was hilarious.

we are looking to refresh with a NAS and trying to condense this rats nest to some sort of resemblance of order and much simpler. Maybe 1 Switch with everything connected to that and a NAS. but again the issue i think will cause a headache is the FAX and Phone lines.

the computers are 3 desktops soon to be 4 and 2 ancient laptops. the desktops dont have wireless capability but could be upgraded, damn the warranty.

thanks all.

Network current set up as of 16 sept 2021 copy.jpg

So here are just some questions:

1. You have two routers, why? What purpose does having two routers solve? Is it a limitation of ports or connection types?

2. You have two switches, normally you have more switches because you need more ports or you need the switch in a physically different location. So, if you don't need the extra ports then perhaps you don't need the other switch. I would confirm if both are capable of PoE.

9 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

So here are just some questions:

1. You have two routers, why? What purpose does having two routers solve? Is it a limitation of ports or connection types?

2. You have two switches, normally you have more switches because you need more ports or you need the switch in a physically different location. So, if you don't need the extra ports then perhaps you don't need the other switch. I would confirm if both are capable of PoE.

to answer your questions,.

2 routers because one has the fax line one has the phone line and if you consolidate them and remove one teh phone and fax stops working. i already tried that and it cause panic among some of the older staff.

as for the switches its simply a location thing from what we can tell. when it was all installed (14/15yrs ago from what im told) they ran 2 ethernet cables across the room into a switch whith then has the computers and printer in it. port availability arent an issue

Well, you could probably remove Switch 1 right away.

Connect router 2 to switch 2, then have a cable from switch 2 to wan ... may mean extra cable but you remove one powered device from equation. 

make sure the wan is not powered through poe or if it does, your  switch 2 should have poe. 

The fax and phone line ... could be a IP conflict or something like that. Maybe router1 gets and assigns IPs from some private class, and router2 from another class.

Are the fax and phone actual IP / Ethernet devices or do they maybe use ADSL / DSL / VDSL / some kind of phone line ? Maybe one of the routers can do one of those phone line inputs and that's why it's needed.

The NTT box ... don't you need a phone line or two for the fax and phone?  Maybe that's what it is.   Or maybe it's a box that converts fiber/coax/vdsl  from your ISP to regular ethernet?

Your phones could be Voice over IP but faxes... not sure how they work in Japan.

4 hours ago, TechSloth said:

so it goes internet > Router 1 & fax line > Router 2 & Phone line > Switch 1 > WAP & Switch 2 > 4 Computers & Printer.

there is also a chonky ancient white box with NTT written on it. we dont know if its part of the fax/phone lines or a UPS or something else. Not even the IT Support that we use has a scooby what it is. hahaha they were sooo confused by the set up it was hilarious.

we are looking to refresh with a NAS and trying to condense this rats nest to some sort of resemblance of order and much simpler. Maybe 1 Switch with everything connected to that and a NAS. but again the issue i think will cause a headache is the FAX and Phone lines.

the computers are 3 desktops soon to be 4 and 2 ancient laptops. the desktops dont have wireless capability but could be upgraded, damn the warranty.

thanks all.

Network current set up as of 16 sept 2021 copy.jpg