cpu upgrade for dell T3600?

adarw

im thinking of buying a dell t3600 with 16gb of ram, and a xeon 1607, the xeon is a bit underpreforming for my use case so a upgrade would be nice, now i think my 2 options are the e5-2690 and the e5-2687 the thing is idk which is better lol. what yall think?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Heres a good source: pull up 2 TechPowerUp windows, search each CPU in one, the other in the other and compare - whichever has higher core count and higher clocks is better. I believe that's the 2690 - I use 2 of those and I can imagine that 1 would work well as well. 

What are you going to do on it? That will decide what you need to get. Because quite often there are better systems out there that would be cheaper than getting a cheaper one + cpu upgrade.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

What are you going to do on it? That will decide what you need to get. Because quite often there are better systems out there that would be cheaper than getting a cheaper one + cpu upgrade.

nothing much, just school work and photo editing, maybe be a little video editing but im not going to do that much.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

19 minutes ago, adarw said:

nothing much, just school work and photo editing, maybe be a little video editing but im not going to do that much.

For photo editing and such you are going the ENTIRELY wrong direction here. Photoshop (or others) are basically single threaded programs so you getting a big multi core cpu is going to just suck. Video editing yeah sure it will be better but since it's not a primary focus I don't see a reason to aim for it.

Save youself some money and instead of buying a very old totally wrong for you computer get something else.

What budget do you have?