Quiet psu and help.

Zeroo

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for quiet as posible psu or semi passive at low usage.

From tier A it seems that corsair is the best?

Gold color: HX Platinum / RMx

I get that i need safety margin for psu, and they work best at half power. If i'm right system should use about 550 watts? So that's 850 psu, 750 would be to weak?

Is there big difference between them? How much money could i save with platinum psu over gold? And in general which one would be better?

How big power supplie i would need? I don't plan upgrading, changing parts at least 5 years. 10 if everything still running smoothly, also don't plan OC things.

My system spec:

Cpu - Ryzen 5 5600X  or  Ryzen 7 5800X

Gpu - RTX 3080 // 3080 ti // RX 6800 xt // 6900 xt    -    At the moment 6900 xt price are the same as 3080 in my contry, around 1600$. Crazy.

Mobo - Asrock B550 PG VELOCITA

Ram - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 16GB 3600MHz CL16

HDD - Samsung 870 EVO, 2TB + older Crucial MX500 1TB    -    Like i said, i love quietness, mechanical hdd make clicking sound, so it's out of question here. Could save 300$, but no.

Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S chromax

Fans  - 4-5x

There are entirely passive PSUs and PSUs with the hybrid mode.

For your specs 850W would be a good fit IMO. (Some parts ie 3080ti can come with factory OC and power spikes)

There are many options with the hybrid mode (ie Focus GX 850 that I use), but I am sure that you can find entirely passive ones too.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Where are you buying from? The availability and pricing will vary, and so will any recommendations. Also, what case are you getting?

For wattage, with a 3080 Ti, a good 850W should be fine. Ignore the 80+ rating, and ignore any generalisations, as it's possible to just look into individual PSUs.

:)

1 hour ago, Zeroo said:

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for quiet as posible psu or semi passive at low usage.

From tier A it seems that corsair is the best?

Gold color: HX Platinum / RMx

If close in price to other high end units at identical wattage, yes the HX and RMx are some of the best options for those who want silence.
And yes, 850w is the least you should go for.

1 hour ago, Zeroo said:

Is there big difference between them?

Other than efficiency (which is irrelevant, really), this is how the HX850 is better than the RM850x (2018/2021) :
- better platform (more robust, better performance)
- better fan (better bearing, more durable)
- better protection set (multirail OCP is available as an option)
- quieter than the 2021 version of the RMx (RMx 2018 is quieter than HX).

10 hours ago, seon123 said:

Where are you buying from? The availability and pricing will vary, and so will any recommendations. Also, what case are you getting?

For wattage, with a 3080 Ti, a good 850W should be fine. Ignore the 80+ rating, and ignore any generalisations, as it's possible to just look into individual PSUs.

Well generally gold versus platinum price diference is 35$. Can get most of tier A power supplies. +- 20$ each.. I just want the best one at reasonable price as corsairs

Case will be Phanteks p600s or Meshify 2 Compact. Can't decide to go bigger or smaller case for best temperatures.

9 hours ago, electropical said:

If close in price to other high end units at identical wattage, yes the HX and RMx are some of the best options for those who want silence.
And yes, 850w is the least you should go for.

Other than efficiency (which is irrelevant, really), this is how the HX850 is better than the RM850x (2018/2021) :
- better platform (more robust, better performance)
- better fan (better bearing, more durable)
- better protection set (multirail OCP is available as an option)
- quieter than the 2021 version of the RMx (RMx 2018 is quieter than HX).

When passive, under 300w they both will be equal quiet right? I heard that some psu can have coil whine, do corsairs psus have that problem common?

4 hours ago, Zeroo said:

When passive, under 300w they both will be equal quiet right?

No, HX has more thermal headroom in passive mode.
HX850 :

Spoiler

spacer.png

RM850x 2018 :

Spoiler

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Zeroo said:

I heard that some psu can have coil whine, do corsairs psus have that problem common?

All PSUs can potentially have coil whine or buzz, it depends on a variety of factors.
But no, HX and RMx are far from being the worst offenders when it comes to coil whine.

3 hours ago, electropical said:

No, HX has more thermal headroom in passive mode.
HX850 :

Hide contents

spacer.png

RM850x 2018 :

Hide contents

spacer.png

All PSUs can potentially have coil whine or buzz, it depends on a variety of factors.
But no, HX and RMx are far from being the worst offenders when it comes to coil whine.

Ohh i see, from corsair homepage (manuals). They both had that fan starts at 340w(40%) and goes up. Seems like HX is much better then.

I can't seem to figure out if that 90% efficiency is even at 10% 100watts workload? Or is it closer to 85% then? Or dosen't matter at all.

RM850x White - has almost same fan curve as HX850 

Seems better than normal RM850x

Doubt it's worth 30$ extra for HX over RMx?

BTW: white and 2018 normal cost same here.

JAxtszRv9rW4WYW6UyWGj3-970-80.png

37 minutes ago, Zeroo said:

RM850x White - has almost same fan curve as HX850 

Seems better than normal RM850x

Doubt it's worth 30$ extra for HX over RMx?

BTW: white and 2018 normal cost same here.

In that review, that's the white version of the 2015 RM850x, which was a costdown version of the HX850.
The white ones that you'll find on the market today are the white version of the 2018 RM850x.

You can tell the difference by the size of the unit (2015 is larger than 2018) and the modular side :
2015 :

Spoiler

spacer.png

2018 :

Spoiler

spacer.png

To be clear, the 2018 RMx still is one of the most quiet PSUs out there, going for HX solely for quietness probably isn't worth the premium.

Meh, will go HX850 then. As i won't upgrade anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

Quit question.

There should be no inside difference in White vs Gray 2018 RMx models? Only psu+wire color right?

Thanks.