Ambitious build to rival game consoles

Battousai1

Hi guys, I am planning on doing custom-built PCs that will rival gaming consoles. Although I know this is relatively easy if budget and pricing are not factors to consider.

The reason why I had this idea is to bring awareness to those who are into getting a PlayStation 5 or an Xbox Series X due to the hype. Based on the statistics here in our country, a lot of people are looking for PlayStation 5s without even knowing what they really want. We run an online shop that sells consumer electronics and everyday we get a lot of inquiries from people looking for the next-gen gaming consoles. The unfortunate thing is, most of these people are just in for the hype. They do not know that they can play games in a similar capacity with a PC.

In order for this plan to at least see the light of day, these are the requisites:

1. The total cost of setting this build should be affordable, probably in the vicinity of the PS5 and Xbox pricing.

2. The parts of this build should be standardized, same brand, same suppliers.

3. The controllers will be an Xbox Series X controller.

4. The software side - will need a game launcher

What I would like to ask for a suggestion is for item number 4.

Is there a game launcher that will exactly mimic the interface of the game consoles, this is something like a skin on-top of windows that will auto-start and display the list of games available. In other words, having a software that will make you feel that you are running a game console rather than a PC. Ideally, when a person switches this PC build on then it will automatically launch a game launcher and not the standard Windows interface.

Steam in big picutre mode.

It's been around for a while, and is controller-friendly which is what console UIs are all about.

Your going to have to spend the cost of a xbox series X or ps5 on the Graphics card alone. Maybe next year when the hardware in the games consoles is based on last gen technology you might be able to build a comparable gaming PC for the same price. If you want to play big PC titles most will be developed on Microsoft API so the developer can port them to xbox meaning your have to factor in the price of windows on top of the hardware.

If you could by hardware in the quantities to be able to purchase direct from the manufacturers you may be able to match on price. 

If you start to look at the Xbox series s you can't even put together a office pc for that price. 

For some reason I thought Steam link, both the now retired hardware, and the new app was more well known? 

For years now I've played many games in my living room with my PC sitting in my office (home office) thanks to a Steam Link. I sit comfortably on the couch, use an Xbox controller, and use the big screen in the living room. I have 4 Xbox one controllers dedicated to it in the living room too, for couch co-op games. 

That being said, I think building a PC that would compete with consoles right now, for the same price might be a bit tough? GPUs are just now starting to come down in prices.

I don't think it's just a case of people not knowing they can game on PC. Right now, consoles make a lot more sense than a PC if all you want to do is play games. They both sit around 2070 Super/3060 Ti/5700 XT/6600 XT performance, and those cards on their own are currently selling for about the same amount as a console. It's going to be at least 2 years before a PC has a chance at being a better value for pure gaming than consoles, and even then only on the used market.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, Battousai1 said:

... custom-built PCs that will rival gaming consoles ...

1. The total cost of setting this build should be affordable, probably in the vicinity of the PS5 and Xbox pricing.

2. The parts of this build should be standardized, same brand, same suppliers.

3. The controllers will be an Xbox Series X controller.

4. The software side - will need a game launcher

So you are talking about a budget of 500$ (PS5 , Xboox Series X MSRP)?
That is not going to happen, 50$ from that budget goes to the controller, at least another 50$ for somewhat decent KB + Mouse + mousepad.
So you are left with just 400$ for the PC... Considering current GPU pricing, putting a GPU in a system would eat all of the budget, so iGPU it is:
280$ for Ryzen 5 5600G 
85$ for "ok" mobo

And that puts us at 365$... almost at the limit of our budget. Let us continue:

65$ for 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 RAM 
70$ for an ok PSU

50$ for a case that doesn't utterly suck
50$ for m.2 NVMe 512GB

------

600$ for the PC,

+ 100$ (for the controller + KB + mouse + mouse pad)

= 700$ TOTAL (for hardware*)

And the worst part, the experience would probably be better on a console...

Those components aren't gonna assemble and test themselves, I didn't account for labor but you as a seller should.

*I also didn't account for Windows 10 license, maybe you can strike a great deal with MS to give you OEM licensing for 15$ (doubtful) or maybe you'd just have to put retail license on the PCs  for 100$ each... Unless you go with some Linux distro, which for sure is gonna have problems running certain games.

1 hour ago, Battousai1 said:

The parts of this build should be standardized, same brand, same suppliers.

That would just drive the total price up by at least 20%...
Not to mention that not all brands manufacture (or at least re-brand) all of the components you would need.... plus the availability of the said components could also be a problem.

PS Consoles are sold at a loss, zero gain, or very very small profit margin... simply because most of their profit doesn't come from selling hardware but from selling games and services. You can't compete with them on that front.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet