Artifacting, Black Screens with two different GPUs

HighFiDZ

16 gb of ram 3200mhz

ryzen 3 3100

Sata su 630 ssd and toshiba 7200rpm hsd

cooler master elite v2 550W psu

b450 aorus elite V2 motherboard

The first gpu was a gtx 770, it ran well in my last build and i kept it for this one, it ran 3 weeks when the issue started, i had some screen glitches the screen crashed and there it was like a stuttery glitched image for 5-10 seconds.

It would change the resolution most of the time, i can be on desktop, it crashes, black screen, displays again, in a lower resolution, until it started running at 1024x786 and it didnt crash much.

I noticed that everything runs fine without drivers too.

Got a gtx 660 today from a friend, booted with my old gtx 770 drivers and was running well on it tbh, i chatted and browsed for an hour without a single issue, then the issues happened when i tried to start the pc into safe mode, it didnt boot and there was a red VGA light on my mobo, unplugged the 660, put the 770, ran DDU, put the 660 again, worked! 

Then as soon as i installed the drivers the GTX 660 did the same thing the GTX 770 Used to do, Artifacts, display going off and on.

Now i dont know whats the possibility of both GPUs being dead/dying.

But my question is, which other components could be causing this, might it be the PSU? 

Your RAM or your PSU would be the first things I'd look at.

4 minutes ago, HighFiDZ said:

might it be the PSU? 

although 2 dying gpu's is possible, psu seems more likely. have another one to test with?

4 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Your RAM or your PSU would be the first things I'd look at.

Id definitely look into that

As @bmx6454 suggested if you have another power supply to try that is known to be good, that would be step one on my list. 

3 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

although 2 dying gpu's is possible, psu seems more likely. have another one to test with?

Nope but i have taken the 770 to someone i know who will test it on his build, though its high likely the gtx 770 is dead, im not sure if the 660 is too, even it has shown me a very hard string of artifacts ( around 6-7 parallel red line with 2cm of width ) vertically lined on the screen.

Just now, si1enze said:

As @bmx6454 suggested if you have another power supply to try that is known to be good, that would be step one on my list. 

Definitely would look for that, thank you kind people!

On 9/17/2021 at 3:13 AM, si1enze said:

well now the weird part begins, i took my pc to another screen, and has another hdmi cable ( the screen is used as a tv with a demo that has hdmi )

it worked perfectly, i played a bit and took it back upstairs

plugged the old tv with the old hdmi cable and everything seems to be fine

now the question is, im doubting this hdmi cable is dying, other than that, can a faulty or a bad pcie cause artifacts and all the things stated above?