Accidentally deleted part of C:\. Need help ASAP.

2plash6
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
6 minutes ago, 2plash6 said:

Then I typed "Del c:\".  I was SURE that it would say access denied, but no. It prompted me, and I typed "y" for yes.

Spoiler

AjarArcticAmurstarfish-size_restricted.g

Have you tried in Command Prompt, sfc /scannow? (from the s to the w needs to be written). 

EDIT: What |sfc /scannow| does is Windows will scan and check for any corruption on all protected system files and replace any corruption based on a cache. 

Hello, while I was doing homework on the home laptop, I was messing around with random CMD commands because I was bored.

I was typing "mountvol c:\ /d", and killing random system processes with the command prompt.

Then I typed "Del c:\".  I was SURE that it would say access denied, but no. It prompted me, and I typed "y" for yes.

Again, I thought it would do nothing, until I saw random files listing down the window that were getting deleted.

I freaked out when I saw that it was actually deleting files, so I immediately closed the window to prevent further damage.

I was afraid that the PC wasn't gonna boot again if these files are deleted, so I immediately downloaded Recuva to try to recover any system files that were deleted, and this was what I saw:image.thumb.png.8761e669d7494248aa46e9e96b0af2ea.png 

It says that these are severely overwritten, and are unrecoverable.

Do I need these files in order to load Windows?

Will this be the last time this PC will ever turn on?

This message is being typed on the laptop that I was doing homework on, and deleted some files on.

I am afraid to turn it off.

How do I fix this?

I have a Gaming PC. Should I use it to get a new copy of Windows onto a USB, and load it on to this PC?

Do I need to reinstall the OS?

This is an HP ENVY Laptop if that's important.

6 minutes ago, 2plash6 said:

Spoiler

Have you tried in Command Prompt, sfc /scannow? (from the s to the w needs to be written). 

EDIT: What |sfc /scannow| does is Windows will scan and check for any corruption on all protected system files and replace any corruption based on a cache. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sounds promising, I'll try that. Thanks.

I did that and it says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

1 minute ago, 2plash6 said:

I did that and it says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

That sounds good imo, although others can chime in whether or not that was enough. 

1 minute ago, 2plash6 said:

Did I just fix this PC?

Yes, or no?

Possibly. Do you know if you have any system restore points created prior to deleting C: drive?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I think this PC was fixed. Now I will do a reboot to see if it loads into Windows correctly.

That sounds good imo, although others can chime in whether or not that was enough. 

Possibly. Do you know if you have any system restore points created prior to deleting C: drive?

I don't know.

Just now, 2plash6 said:

I think I will reboot now.

I guess...try it out?

From the names of those files, it looks like you nuked everything in the boot partition. I'd give 90% odds that computer is not going to start up again once it shuts down even after running sfc, because it never works.

Make a USB Windows recovery drive using the Windows Media Creation tool from here. When the computer doesn't start up, boot into that USB drive and you can try the automatic recovery, but it also never works. Then you can remake the boot partition following the instructions from here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

It actually did restart perfectly fine like nothing happened.

Thanks!!

sfc actually working, you see something new every day.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I'm not sure whether it would or would not boot if I wouldn't have gotten that command, and I would get in serious trouble if I nuked the boot partition.

Thanks a ton.

That screenshot was taken at the bottom of the page of Recuva. I scrolled down to the bottom of the page, and shook once I saw them, but I think those are old logs.

3 minutes ago, 2plash6 said:

It actually did restart perfectly fine like nothing happened.

Thanks!!

Glad I can help (and it worked 😉)!!

Yes.

Glad I can help (and it worked 😉)!!

You're an absolute legend.