Is it possible to divide or balance the internet speed across two devices with two lan cables connected to one modem ??

suraj ranjan

Hello, presently I am using internet broadband connection which has a speed of 150 megabits per second where I will be getting actual download speed around 18 megabytes per second. The modem itself acts as router so I don't have to use a separate Wi-Fi router, I have used two lan cables, one connecting my PC and another connecting the set up box for TV, so whenever I download large size games, the download speed on PC goes till 15mbps and the TV still plays but noticed a little bit of drop in the clarity and few buffering here and there, so I was just wondering if there was any way I could balance the speed on both the devices, like I am okay with speed around 12 or 13 mbps on PC and so TV could play without any drop in the picture quality or any buffering, so is that possible ???

There's 8 megabits in a megabyte , so if you're getting 18 megabytes ... that's 18*8 = 144 megabits.

You could get a router with some QOS options and configure your modem as pass-through but the easiest would be to just limit the download speed of Steam or whatever you're using. There's various free applications that can do that, if the application itself doesn't have such options. Don't remember one off the top of my head right now though.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

There's 8 megabits in a megabyte , so if you're getting 18 megabytes ... that's 18*8 = 144 megabits.

You could get a router with some QOS options and configure your modem as pass-through but the easiest would be to just limit the download speed of Steam or whatever you're using. There's various free applications that can do that, if the application itself doesn't have such options. Don't remember one off the top of my head right now though.

Oh yes, I think I can reduce the download speed and then check if there is any issue in TV still, thank you.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, suraj ranjan said:

Oh yes, I think I can reduce the download speed and then check if there is any issue in TV still, thank you.

A quick, simple, if not somewhat hacky way you could cheat to do this for the whole PC would be to go into Control Panel and force the ethernet adapter to 100Mbit Full Duplex.  Although obviously that might be a bit too harsh of a limitation given that even if you were watching 4K you shouldn't need 44Mbit for the TV.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 9/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

A quick, simple, if not somewhat hacky way you could cheat to do this for the whole PC would be to go into Control Panel and force the ethernet adapter to 100Mbit Full Duplex.  Although obviously that might be a bit too harsh of a limitation given that even if you were watching 4K you shouldn't need 44Mbit for the TV.

Oh, I didn't know about this, actually I was looking something like this where I could just kinda permanently fix the speed for my pc so the rest would be for my TV, will surely try it, thank you 🙂