Question about my partitioned SSD

magicammo
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
8 minutes ago, magicammo said:

there we are sorry 馃槢

Capture 1.JPG

THen you can just delete that d partition, and extend the c one.

Hello once again! So I purchased a laptop and it has a 500gb drive and for some reason 94GB of it was partitioned no idea why. Is there any way to delete this partition and just have the single one? Or will i have to do a clean install?聽

Thanks,

CPU:聽AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX聽GPU: AMD RX 6800M聽RAM: 16GB聽聽SSD: 500GB NVME聽

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show a screenshot?

You can probably change it, but I always do a fresh install on new laptops to remove bloat and junk

There we are

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show a screenshot of disk management?

there we are sorry 馃槢

Capture 1.JPG

Regardless of what you try to do at this point, you need to back up any important data. Changing partitions can cause data loss.

With the partitions being encrypted, and with the C drive being the partition you want to change, I'm not sure whether this will work, but you can try deleting the D volume and then expanding the C volume to fill the space in Disk Management.

Honestly, I think reinstalling Windows to a cleanly formatted drive would be better if you haven't done too much on it.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Regardless of what you try to do at this point, you need to back up any important data. Changing partitions can cause data loss.

With the partitions being encrypted, and with the C drive being the partition you want to change, I'm not sure whether this will work, but you can try deleting the D volume and then expanding the C volume to fill the space in Disk Management.

Honestly, I think reinstalling Windows to a cleanly formatted drive would be better if you haven't done too much on it.

Yea I didn't encrypt it, it was like this out of the box I found it to be a bit weird no pun intended. I don't have anything important on the PC I wanted everything to be on drive C I can disable encryption in the windows settings.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THen you can just delete that d partition, and extend the c one.

I just looked in the disk D and there looks to be some windows files

Capture2.JPG

3 minutes ago, magicammo said:

Yea I didn't encrypt it, it was like this out of the box I found it to be a bit weird no pun intended. I don't have anything important on the PC I wanted everything to be on drive C I can disable encryption in the windows settings.

If you don't have anything important on there, you can give it a shot in Disk Management. I've just never resized an encrypted partition, so I don't know how Windows would react. I've also never resized the C drive from within the Windows install, so I don't know if it's allowed. On Linux, you have to unmount a partition to resize it, which cannot be done with the root partition from within the OS.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you don't have anything important on there, you can give it a shot in Disk Management. I've just never resized an encrypted partition, so I don't know how Windows would react. I've also never resized the C drive from within the Windows install, so I don't know if it's allowed. On Linux, you have to unmount a partition to resize it, which cannot be done with the root partition from within the OS.

Yea same here I never mess around with this stuff unless its just adding a new drive. I just disabled bitlocker so I think everything will be back to normal so I'll just delete the volume and expand it like wizardy said. Ill update here in a few minutes!

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It worked hahaCapture3.JPG.cd4db99cd612f94f552e537da09163ed.JPG